Chapter 36: Welcome to Solaris, the capital of the new world

Grasping around the hilt of the sacred sword Mordred acted as though he was incapable of removing the weapon from the Sanctuary. From his years of experience with weaponry in [Hellgana] Mordred could instantly tell from a single glance that this sword wasn't particularly that great. Though that wasn't really the point, if he draws this sword from the sanctuary he would be recognized as the hero and thus will be under constant surveillance, making it harder for him to move around.

While it was entire possible to create a doppelganger to play the role of the hero by removing the sword, doing so would only strain him more from the 'extrasensory feedback'. Currently there were too many doppelgangers moving around on the board and what Mordred needed to do was either get used to it reduce the number of them. Thus it was much easier if another person became the hero and for Mordred to keep that hero under his watch or to convert him to a loyal follower.

Whilst his hand was on the hilt of the sacred sword Mordred placed a trap spell that would activate the moment the sword was pulled out. This spell was known as [repulsion trap] which was under the [Templar] class, a simple delayed trap skill that would knock back an opposing enemy. Of course things were a little different in terms of the mechanics of this skill now that he was in this world. The biggest difference was that Mordred was able to adjust the strength and intensity of the repulsion. With Mordred's power the knock back force could be ramped up to the point that it would expel just enough force to leave the victim unconscious.

After expelling a disappointed sigh Mordred stepped down from the Hero's Sanctuary and regrouped with his comrades. He gave off a wry shrug towards his companions as they returned a sympathetic gaze and laughed it off as fellow failures.

"I thought that if anyone from our group would be able to pull the sword it would be you, Mordred."

Ash spoke as he placed his hands on Mordred's shoulder giving a sympathetic look.

"Hmm? Why do you say so?"

Mordred responded. 'Could it be he found out?' Mordred internally pondered for a moment but he was confident in his acting skills. Of course it wasn't impossible for Mordred to slip up or that Ash was just that perceptive but that was rather unlikely.

"No real reason, it's just that out of everyone you had the personality of someone who would become a hero. You know, you're always so calm and understanding."

"Ah! I so totally understand! I get that vibe from him too!"

Caroline interjected with a playful look.

"Mmm."

Padan nodded in agreement. Mordred returned their 'compliment' with another wry shrug.

"If the only requirement for being a hero was to be calm or understanding then practically half the city would qualify. Such traits aren't exactly rare after all."

Mordred answered.

"I supposed you have a point too. So what now commander?"

Changing topics Ash shifted his gaze towards their commander, Katy Granate.

"We return back to base and continue our daily schedule."

Katy responded as she corrected the position of her glasses.

...

"Halt, you're about to enter Solaris, the capital of Xagontetia. You don't seem like adventurers, are you travelers? If so do you have any ID or pass with you? You'll have to go through a check up if you don't."

A guard with a bushy mustache asked as Tau and Alice approached the front gates of Solaris. Standing behind him were several small floating stone orbs with a small crimson eye, they were part of the security known as 'Sentry Cannons'. They too were delivered to the country by Morgana Daltress and had mostly replaced the jobs of the soldiers in protecting the front gate.