Chapter 67: Onward, to the upper Stratus!

Pacing back and forth with her hands behind her back and staring out the window as if she was some high level CEO, Morgana had gathered a small crowd in her office. They were some mid-low ranking soldiers in the Xagontetian military but they had shown a lot of promise during the Catastrophe of Fire incident. They were Mordred's first contacts he had made upon first signing up as a soldier; Ashen, a haughty Elven magician, Padan a carefree and hulking Titan warrior and Caroline a young healer of the Granate dukedom.

"To start off, I hope you don't mind but with the Royal Castle currently under reconstruction we'll have to have our discussion here."

Morgana started the conversation as she slowly stopped pacing around and sat down at her wooden desk. They hadn't been told the exact details but the four, including Mordred, had been summoned to the Daltress estate for a small expeditionary mission. 

Everyone gave a small affirmative nod to Morgana's question as they listened in.

"Okay then, now that that's out of the way I'll get straight to the point. We've recently discovered that the increase in monster activity is due to the corruption of the World Tree at Stratus."

"World Tree?"

Caroline asked with her small innocent voice. Her blazing orange hair swaying side to side as it glittered under the sunlight that poured from the open window.

"It's the central pillar of Elven society, at least in Stratus. Allegedly it absorbs most of the demonic mana in the area that causes monsters to go berserk. I've heard the cleansing affects reach all the way down to Xagontetia as well, that's why our monsters haven't been so aggressive. However since I haven't been there personally, all of my knowledge is second hand, so take it with a grain of salt."

Ashen filled in for Caroline.

"But Aintcha an Elf too? How could ya not know about it?"

Padan interjected with a carefree look on his face. Though his strength was exceptional even for Titan standards, tact wasn't a strong suit. Ashen grit his teeth as he made a slightly annoyed expression.

"Do you think all Elves the same? I'll have you know that I've lived in this city my entire life; in terms of culture and upbringing I have more in common with humans than Elves."

Ashen rejects in a low hissing tone. Hearing that answer Padan put both of his hands up in a conceding motion, suggesting that it was merely a joke.

"Aye, don't get your panties in a bunch; I was only sayin'."

Due to their bickering the conversation had halted half way through and to resume it Mordred skillfully intercepted. He cleared his throat to give everyone a chance to quiet down before replying to Morgana.

"So then what is it that you've gathered us here for, Minister Daltress?"

"Yes, about that. The situation with the increase in monster activity is not only a threat to civilians in rural areas but is also a hindrance to the war effort against the Empire. Since we know the pollution of demonic mana is caused by the malfunctioning of the World Tree I want it investigated and if possible to find a fix for it too. However to do that we need to first establish an alliance with Stratus, thankfully they're already allies with Dragon's Domain so it shouldn't be too hard. To help us negotiate a treaty and alliance I've asked for the aid of our Diplomatic minister."

Morgana explained as she guided their gazes towards the door behind them. Stepping through that door was a middle aged man in his early forties. His head was completely bald and the only hair on his head was his near villainous goatee. He wore thin framed glasses and was a little round near the belly but other than that he had the face of a good natured man. A near perpetual smile caused by the budging of his cheek fat really goes a long way.