Chapter 32: Don't forget to look behind when fighting from the front

The 'Spring Palace'; the grand symbol of the power and wealth accumulated by the Adventurer's Guild, as marvelous and exotic as it stood before, it was now laid to waste in the great catastrophe. With the destruction of their home-base the members of the Hywel Knights were temporarily moved to a smaller inn, though the problem of their lodging was the least of their problems. For the past few weeks the members of the Hywel knights were helping with the relief effort for the city with a solemn and serious expression.

Even the talkative Wolf was feeling somewhat down at the sight of the city of the sun that was now covered with rubble and debris. As adventurers of the highest rank they had thought they had seen the height of power, but that was merely a plateau to an even greater height. It wasn't the first time that they were faced with the reality of their powerlessness, they had each faced a similar situation during their newbie days, but this was the biggest shock since then.

As night had fallen, the leader of the Hywel Knights, Leona Crom overlooked the city in rubbles from her small inn's window. Just a week ago the skies rained fire and a sea of blood flooded the city and a week before that everything was covered in sunshine with a pristine look. Just how could events transpire so quickly and without warning? Was it always going to be like this from now on?

"Leona, you should get some sleep."

Stella entered her room after noticing the mana stone's lights were still active. When she entered she saw for the first time the frustrated expression on her leader's face.

"Stella... I'm fine. What about you?"

Leona asked. Though still inconclusive until further investigation was completed, it was evident that the culprits responsible for this attack were the Baliazoural Empire, in other words Stella's home country. Though she had officially cut all ties from the empire she was still without a doubt a child from the empire. No one was blaming her for anything, but Stella herself couldn't help but feel even a little responsible for this massacre.

"Mmm... I'm fine too I guess. I honestly didn't think the empire had it in them to do something like this. If it weren't for those two figures, Irina and Morgana this place would've been totaled. They really were amazing huh? To think that even after all this time we're still this weak; it's a real wake up call."

Stella answered in a wry tone. Out of everyone in the team it was Stella who had trained and struggled the most to get to where she was. The other members had innate talent; Wolf had his race's physical properties, Leona was a genius combatant since a young age, Rio was an immortal who had centuries of experience to her mastery and Joutr also had the Titan race's capabilities. It was only Stella who was a normal human being yet she had trained to not become a burden to her party members.

"Yeah... I was surprised too, to know that there were people that strong. All this time I've been chasing after the Dragon King so I never knew how wide this world was."

Leona responded.

"The 'mysterious flaming hero' Irina and the 'saintly merchant' Morgana Daltress. That's what the people have been referring to them as."

Stella explained with a defeated smile; even though the Hywel knights also played a pivotal role in saving the city it was ultimately those two who had received the most attention and credit. It wasn't as though Stella was really interested in the attention and it was justified as they were the ones who actually saved the city. Perhaps it was simply due to the contemplative mood of the city that she was made to think about her strength in contrast to those two shining figures.

"Are you curious about their identities?"

Leona asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Heh, well aren't you curious too? A mysterious flaming hero with the power that could even rival the Dragon King and a strange merchant that has access to skills never before seen in this country. If they had always existed then where were they up until now and how come we haven't heard of them?"