Chapter 46: Declaration of Secret War

A large windless hall covered by ancient shadows, its air stark with a sense of misery. The only sources of light in the room were small dim candles which only served as a reminder to the secretive nature of this place. There five figures sat at the round table, having lost two of their members the two empty chairs felt as though a large hole had been bored into them.

The Wayfarer Council: the largest underground organization that had a deep rooted history in the governance of Xagontetia. In just a few months they had already lost two of their core members and had their plans messed up by an unknown force. At the current time nothing was going in their favor and with the arrival of Morgana Daltress and Prince Leo Crom the organization was being pushed further and further into obscurity.

At the very least something had to be done.

"Ah~ this place is so much quieter without that buffoon Lazzaro shouting out at the top of his lungs. Though I admit I had gotten used to that idiot; now that he's gone it feels a little shallow."

Del Granate, Head of the Royal Alchemist Commission said as she lazed over the table. There was a distinctly depressive air in the room as all of the members felt that their organization was standing on their last legs. Even with the push and support from their 'all-powerful' Luminary they knew that taking on both Morgana and Prince Leo would be a tall order.

"Losing Lazzaro could've been manageable but having Casec go missing is a huge blow. Most of our reserve field agents don't even stand a candle to his capabilities thus we have our hands tied behind our backs. Maybe it would be a good idea to just lay low and hope that somehow either Morgana or Prince Leo takes the other one out."

Alexander Granate, Vice Director of the Adventurer Guild commentated.

"That might actually not be a bad idea. We'd be saving resources and most of the heavy lifting and there's been some gossip around the castle that those two have some sort of rivalry going on."

Del responded.

"If that's really the case then I don't mind kicking back a bit and watching the show unfold."

Sven Serus replied with a wry smile.

"Oh, perhaps for you people it may be an entertaining match to see but doing all of the heavy lifting isn't something I quite enjoy myself. At the very least I would expect a minimum amount of support from you people. Despite her age, she is a rather formidable opponent, frighteningly so."

Interrupting their leisurely conversation about their dire situation was the soothing voice of a certain man. As footsteps of heavy boots strode across the concrete pavement the members of the Wayfarer Council had become frozen at this man's sudden appearance.

Entering the illumination zone the figure of a slender man caught their gaze. Luscious silver hair and a charming smile, yet hidden away behind that façade was a man of great intellect that had woven infinite schemes; the First Prince of Xagontetia, Prince Leo Crom.

Following silently behind him, so silently in fact that not even her footsteps could be registered was a ninja-like woman dressed in easily maneuverable leather armor. She gazed back vigilantly at the members of the Wayfarer Council who's eyes had widen in shock.

"H- how did you get in here?! No, how did you even find this place?!"

Pierre Granate, the minister of War for Xagontetia stood up from his chair in panic and pointed towards the intruders. Naturally out of everyone here it was he who would've lost the most; as a duke he could not be captured associating himself with undesirable elements. It would mean the collapse of the Granate house if this fact had been exposed to the light.