Chapter 8

I sat in bed and stared at the ceiling. It was that time of year again where my seasonal depression kicked in. I got the habit from my father who suffered through it as a teen and I guess it runs in the family.

My eyes didn't move from the ceiling when my door opened and my father sat down on the edge of my bed.

"You okay, Charlie?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine."  sighed and sat up.

"It's the first day of winter and it's going to be hard for the both of us. But just know that it's not as bad when you get older and your Dad and I are always here for you. Especially with something as difficult as depression."

"Okay." I nodded.

"If you want to go see the therapist again, I can set an appointment. But we love you and we want you to be happy."

"Thanks, Dad."

"Lane!" My dad called from downstairs.

My father and I walked downstairs to find my dad standing with an older woman. She had grey hair and green eyes that perfectly matched my father's.

My father stopped in his tracks and put on a straight face. "I thought I told you to leave me and my family alone."

"Lane..." The woman's eyes drifted to me. "You've grown so much. I haven't seen you since you were a baby, Charlie. You look just like your father only with Dakota's hair and eyes."

She stepped forward but my father put his arm out in front of me so she wouldn't go near me.

"Dads, who is this?" I asked out of confusion.

"Charlie, this is my mother and your grandmother." My father explained.

"But I thought you said I only had grandparents on Dad's side."

"Lane, I don't mean to do any harm." My supposed grandmother said.

"Then why the hell are you here?"

"Your father is in the hospital. He had a stroke last night."

Both my dads fell silent and I just looked at everyone in confusion. My grandfather who I didn't know about for seventeen years was in the hospital and we weren't rushing to go see him? What was wrong with everyone?

"Get the hell out of my house and if you ever come close to my family again, I'll have a restraining order in place faster than you could imagine." My father said in a stern tone.

The woman opened her mouth to say something but quickly closed it. She walked out of the house and closed the door behind it.

"So, you want to explain why you both have been lying to me my whole life?" I said and crossed my arms.

"Charlie, your father and I only want the best for you and we needed to hide this from you." Dad explained. "Your grandmother and grandfather weren't that okay with your father being gay when he was growing up."

"By 'weren't that okay' he means that they forced religion on me and beat the living shit out of me when they found out I was married to your Dad." My father said.

"But why? You're their son, they should love you no matter what." I said.

"Your grandparents are homophobic, Charlie. Not everyone can put their beliefs aside for the people they love. "

"What else are you hiding from me then?"

"You have an uncle and aunt along with a few cousins." Dad added.

"Are they homophobic too or do you just hate them? All this time I've been the only kid in our entire family and now I finally find out that I'm not the only one?"

"I'm sorry that we've done this to you, kid. But we didn't want you to grow up surrounded by a hateful family like I did." My father sighed.

"And what about my grandfather? Is he just going to lay dying in the hospital and we're not even gonna go see him?"

"We will go see him, Charlie. I just need time to process this whole thing."

"Fine." I said and pretended to storm upstairs, only to hide out around the corner to eavesdrop.

"It's going to be fine, Lane." I heard my Dad say.

"My father's dying and now my son hates me." My father sighed.

"Charlie does not hate you. He's just upset that he didn't know he had other family."

"I just wanted to protect him, Sam."

"I know you did, honey. I wanted the same but we can't protect him from everything."

"Thank god your mother is accepting. Otherwise we wouldn't have someone to pinch his cheek and bake him cookies."

Dad chuckled. "I love you, Lane."

"Love you too."

I tiptoed to my room and closed the door. I had to tell Julia everything.