Chapter 24

"Shit! My father's home! Go out the back!" I panicked and told Ian.

"I'll call you later!" He said and rushed out the back door.

I put on some pants and sat on the couch, acting like I definitely didn't just have a man who was ten years older than me on the couch making out with me.

"Hey, Dad." I said casually as he walked inside.

"Hi." He said in a different tone than usual.

My father looked tired and defeated. There were dark circles under his eyes and his hair was messy. He was always so happy and full of life but this time he wasn't.

"Dad, is everything okay?" I asked.

He sighed and sat up, burying his face in his hands. "Your grandfather passed away a few hours ago."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, Dad."

"It's okay, Charlie. Your dad will be home soon. I'm going to go lie down for a while." He said and walked upstairs.

I called Dad and Grandma and told them the news. After I texted Ian and told him too. Then, he ended up calling me.

"You okay, baby?" He asked over the phone.

"Yeah. It just really sucks. My father seems to be really upset."

"He's in a better place now."

"I know. I just can't believe it happened so suddenly."

"I would come back over there to comfort you but I'd rather not have to run through your backyard again."

I chuckled. "Sorry about that."

"It's okay. You sound tired, baby."

"I am. It's been a long day."

"Get some sleep. You can call me first thing tomorrow."

"Okay. I love you."

"I love you too. Goodnight."

I hung up with a sigh and went up to my room. All I could do was wonder how my first funeral would go."