Chapter II ***

This chapter is dedicated to @chemistric for creating such a beautiful cover! Thank you! <3

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Marvel or DC?

2 Months later

An atom.

One single, miniscule atom, floating in a sea of adamant black.

That's how the Universe began.

Perhaps that's how my life started, too.

Not my real life. Not the one dictated by the number of breaths I took, the rate at which my heart beat, or the flares of electricity that signalled brain activity. No. I was talking about the one I found myself thrust into—the one that started with a fire, and a crash, and blood. The one that began with death and ashes, from which I had to rise like a phoenix, claiming the future as my own.

I'd decided I wouldn't allow myself to drown in the past. I'd decided I was going to fly—and that's exactly what I was doing.

"We will be landing in California in approximately ten minutes. Please prepare yourself for turbulence, and thank you for flying with Virgin Airlines. We hope you have enjoyed your flight." the intercom sounded.

I bit the inside of my cheek and clutched the armrest with renewed ferocity. It was my first time flying. The past six months had been traumatic enough without the bouts of turbulence that rumbled down the plane.

The woman beside me frowned and patted my hand consolingly. "First time flyer?" I nodded. "Don't worry, it gets easier. What's your name?"

"Thea." I replied, looking distractedly out of the window. "My name is Thea."

Thea.

Thea.

"Thea, your social worker called." Chrissy's mum, Lana, said.

I barely looked up. Grief had swallowed me, stolen me, suffocated me; it never strayed, always lingering in my heart and mind. I'd gotten past the point of crying--I had after a matter of hours. The sadness was like a wave, one that crashed against me and then drew back in a soft exhalation. It hit me at random points throughout the day, but it was at its worst during the night. It crept up on me, luring me into its icy depths, and only retreated when the sun rose.

"What about?" I asked.

"Your Uncle Tom wants to be your carer. It is your choice, though--moving to the USA isn't exactly a small ordeal--"

"I'll go." I deadpanned.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw her frown at her husband, who shrugged half-heartedly. "Are you sure, darling? You've built a life here--"

"You're right. I did build a life here. But then they died, and I did too. Maybe I need to go over there."

"Yes, Thea," Lana said, smiling softly, "I think you do."

The aeroplane began to rumble. My eyes widened, and my hands tensed on the armrests.

I missed Chrissy; it had only been a matter of hours since we had shared a heartfelt goodbye but I felt her absence thunder in my bones already. I was somewhat concerned about my erratic Uncle Tom, and his current state of mind. He wasn't known for his mental stability.

Mind you, I was hardly one to speak.

"So, where are you off to?" the woman asked in one last ditch attempt to salvage our conversation.