Chapter VI ***

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Dinner or dessert? (I think everyone can guess my answer lol)

"I have to run?" I exclaimed, glaring daggers at the teacher.

She tutted, folding her arms over her chest. "Are you questioning my teaching?"

"No," I chuckled humourlessly. "I'm questioning your sanity."

The girls around me growled warningly and I fought the urge to crane my neck, fully aware of their intentions. They wanted me to bow down to them, and show my submission. Fuck no. The only thing I worshipped was Nutella.

"Don't worry Miss. She's just bitter because she knows she can't outrun us." one of them laughed.

I turned to face her. "What's your name?"

"Amy."

"Well, Amy, shove your egotistical comment where the sun definitely doesn't shine and learn some decorum." I snarled.

She had been effectively silenced. I offered her a slight, careless smile and turned back to the teacher.

"I feel as if they have an unfair advantage!" I said, shuffling my feet.

"Well, of course they do. You're a human, we're Lycäns. The sooner you accept that as fact, the sooner you can adjust to your new life." she shrugged.

"So you think you're better than me?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Obviously," she answered. "I'm a Lycan."

I stifled a startled gasp and looked elsewhere. Even my teachers, who were meant to preach equality, believed I was a lesser being. It unnerved me to the point of distress. In this place, it wasn't just my accent that separated me. It was my mortality.

A heavy silence enveloped the gymnasium and I stood before the starting line, desperate to proof myself. The teacher sighed deeply but grabbed the stopwatch anyway; obviously, she thought me too human to be a good runner. What she didn't know was that I was a track runner back home, and a good one at that. Smirking, I placed my hands at the line and awaited further instructions.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see a group of boys exiting the changing rooms, clad in only shorts. I tried my best to ignore them, confident that their presence would be somewhat of a distraction for me and my erratic hormones.

"3...2...1..."

As I surged forward, her voice bled into the scenery, completely incomprehensible. All I could hear was the slap of my shoes as they hit solid turf; all I could feel was the strain in my thighs as I ran. The breaths rattled disconsolately in my lungs but I paid the burn no heed. My thoughts were solely enveloped by my thirst to prove that I wasn't some substandard being. I was their equal.

I skidded to a halt at the finish line and inhaled deeply, shaking myself off. The teacher, who was regarding me with newfound interest, gingerly lifted the stop watch to show me my time. I had run the 800m track in 1:03.

"I'm guessing you're a runner." Amy deadpanned.

"You look bitter, Amy. Is it because you can't outrun me?" I mocked her previous words with a triumphant grin.

I could feel the gazes of the boys from across the room and I waved at them, completely unperturbed. Most of them hastily looked elsewhere but a few continued to stare, unfazed by my recklessness.

"Don't stare at my mate!" Amy growled.

What the fuck is a mate?!

"I don't even know what one is!" was my loud objection.

She ignored my comment and snarled again. By this point, her stab at intimidation didn't faze me in the slightest. I'd seen Eric shed his skin and trade it for a wolf pelt--a bitchy teenage Lycan was substandard in comparison.

I sat down on the bench as everyone else took their turn, exhausted. Today was proving to be quite an ordeal, and having track first period was just another prick in my side.

"You managed to outrun female Lycans, huh? Impressive, to say the least."

I met the gaze of a boy whose chest was on full display. I blushed furiously and averted my gaze. "I guess so."

"Not many humans can do that, you know. What makes you different?" he took the seat beside me and smiled cheekily.

"You tell me." I grinned. "Maybe it's just the English accent. They say it has magical powers."

He laughed. "I thought that was common knowledge."

"Apparently not." I looked up at him though my lashes, blatantly aware of his striking beauty. His blonde hair was cropped short, revealing the subtle curve in his jawline.

"I like you. You're not as annoyingly egotistical as the girls here."

"I'll take that as a compliment." I replied.

The boys were nicer than the girls, which tended to be the case. I found it easier to talk to guys than I did females. Apparently, Lycans were no exception.

"What's your next lesson?" He asked.

"Chemistry," I replied with a grimace. "With Mr. Black."

"Oh, you've got our Alpha as a teacher. Good luck with that." he chuckled.

Our Alpha. That sounded suspicious...and unnerving.

"What's an 'Alpha'?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

"He's the pack leader, the big man, or whatever you want to call him. He's hot-headed, yes, but fair, too." he sighed. "Don't tell him I said that, though."

"He sounds like he'd be fun at parties," I grumbled. "How old is he?"

"Early twenties, which doesn't excuse his arrogant demeanour in the slightest."

I sighed. "I'm going to die."

"Make sure you send me a picture," he joked. "I could do with some good news."

"Hey!" I slapped his arm before retiring to the changing rooms. "You're a dickhead."

"The name's Jake, by the way!" he shouted.

"I'm Thea," I replied.