Chapter XVII

QUESTION FOR TODAY: McDonalds or KFC?

By this point, I was questioning my decision to stay silent about the notes.

Their origin was unknown, and the perpetrator seemed to know more about me than I did. It terrified me; I was paranoid about everything and everyone.

It took all of my strength and willpower to scrub the note from my wall. I knew that Damien would go ballistic if he found out, and I didn't want to add to his stress. Wherever I went, chaos followed. Of that much I was sure.

"Thea? Are you in there?"

It was Jake. I hastily shoved the sodden cloth under my pillow and collapsed onto the bed, stomaching my fear. I mumbled a weak yes and he opened the door, regarding my frantic state with a frown.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Y-yes. Never better, in fact. I'm cool as a cucumber. As Chilled as a chimichanga." I blurted, placing a hand on my hip.

"Okay..." He blinked several times before taking my hand in his. "The Alpha would like to see you."

I gulped. I hadn't seen him since he walked out on his father and I. "Okay. Tell him I'm on my way."

He nodded. His hand, however, was still clasped around mine. I looked up at him expectantly and after a moment of hesitation he retreated downstairs.

"Shit," I cursed. "He probably hates me."

My heart began to pound. My blood froze as a wave of anxiety swept across my body, rendering me breathless and dazed. He's going to hate me. The words thrummed through my mind, repeating themselves over and over again.

The ground trembled beneath my feet and my fears were traded for shock. On impulse, I rested my palms against the floor and shut my eyes. After what seemed like an aeon, my fears dulled to inaudible whispers and the quakes ceased.

"You have incredible control, little one."

Damon's husky voice sent shivers down my spine and I stood up, casting my eyes to the floor. I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I was scared of what I'd see if I did.

"Look at me, Thea." He whispered.

"What will I see if I do?"

He paused. "I don't hate you."

His response had me in tears and I looked up through my lashes. "Why did you walk out? I can't help it, Damien. I can't help the fact that I'm different. If I could I would-"

"I don't want you to change!" He pulled me into his chest, sighing. "I was upset. I didn't want to stay knowing that I was the cause of your turmoil."

"I'm okay now," I said softly. "I promise."

"I know you are. You may be lacking in physical strength," he laughed, earning a smack from me. "But you make up for it in everything else that you do."

"Okay, bitches, break it up. She may be your princess, Alpha, but the Queen has arrived."

Alex was leaning against the doorframe, smirking. I doubled over laughing but Damien just frowned, completely unamused.

"Alex." Damien deadpanned. "You're a guy."

"Unfortunately, the same can't be said about you." I grinned, eliciting a playful growl from my mate.