Chapter XXIII

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Dresses or jeans?

After a few prolonged minutes of silence, I slunk back into my place and smirked to myself. Leila looked shaken, and although her arm would heal in a matter of hours, the dent in her pride wouldn't. I didn't need a wolf to show who was boss.

My humanity was enough.

"So." I hummed conversationally. "Since this meeting seems to be over, I think I'll go to bed. Ciao, bitches."

I met Damien's gaze for a moment. His expression was a mixture of pride and shock; it seemed my show of power hadn't only affected Leila. I winked and left the room, subtly revealing my mark. Everyone gasped in unison.

"Bed," I breathed. "It's been far too long."

Without another word I sunk into the mattress and flung my arms across the linen sheets. Part of me regretted my previous actions, though I knew it was necessary. I needed to prove that I was fit to rule by Damien's side. Lycäns always talked of how the Moon Goddess was their saving grace, their deity; shouldn't they respect her decisions despite their reservations?

"You've grown, Thea. You've blossomed into the Luna I always knew you could be."

I hadn't even noticed Damien enter the room. His words evoked a sense of airy happiness but I refused to show it, still boiling with anger.

"How dare you act like nothing just happened?" I snapped.

He looked genuinely confused. Confused. That in no way lessened my anger; how could he stand in front of what was supposed to be my pack and belittle me? No.

I curled my hands into fists and inhaled deeply, withholding the unadulterated power that swelled in my heart and branched into my palms. I could feel it as if condensed in my hands, ready to be unleashed at any given moment. I fought it with a grimace.

"What did I do now?" he asked, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Christ, woman, will nothing make you happy?"

"Yes!" I screamed, fighting tears. "Something would make me happy-"

"A jar of Nutella? Because I bought you one already-"

"No!" I cried. "Your respect would make me happy. You stood in front of our pack and said I wasn't as important as your status. Do you know how that makes me feel? I'm tired of you making me feel like a lesser being- I'm tired of you acting like you've done nothing wrong when you obviously have."

"I didn't realise it affected you so much." he frowned.

"Christ, asshole, why wouldn't it? I may be human but I'm more powerful than anyone here. I don't need your respect- I only need my own- but it would make my life a hell of a lot easier if you gave it to me willingly." I bit back.

He was in front of me in a flash, clutching my waist with fiery intent. I stubbornly refused to meet his gaze- I knew that when I did, my resolve would crumble to the lure of our bond.

"Look at me, Thea." he whispered gently.

I shook my head, trembling with exertion. His proximity was taxing, and it was taking all of my willpower to not meet his gaze.