Chapter XXXII

A/N: EEK! This book is in its last few chapters now, which is a weird thought... It feels like only yesterday since I started drafting this! Well, drafting being the operative word- I had the first ten chapters planned out, and I've just kind of improvised and redrafted the story since then ;)

P.S: 'Tis currently 12 am at night and I'm writing... Needless to say I have no life AND no sleep :)

P.P.S: I Love You ❤️

P.P.P.S. QUESTION FOR TODAY: Early bird or night owl? I think my update schedule tells you enough about what I am 😬

To my surprise, the following days passed without many strange occurrences.

There were, of course, a few rare sightings of a bleary eyed Alex (who was overrun with piles of paperwork) but otherwise everything was relatively normal. Damien and I were finally on the right track, Sammie was recovering from his trauma, Roxy had found her baseball bat- everything was looking up.

"Someone's got their head in the clouds."

Damien wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and nestled his head in my hair. A grin played on my lips and I leaned into his touch.

"Someone's not got their head in paperwork, which is a nice surprise." I laughed.

"Being at war requires my undivided attention, though you are proving to be quite a distraction." his words, however playful, hid something far more serious.

I swallowed thickly and removed his arms from my waist. He raised an eyebrow in confusion and I simply cast my eyes downward.

"So... Any news on where he is?" I asked.

"You can say his name, you know." Damien said softly. "And we have reason to believe that he's moved his base elsewhere."

I snorted. "I'm guessing that's the professional way of saying that you looked where you found me and he's disappeared."

"It sounds stupid when you say it like that." Damien said, irked.

"We won't find him." I said, shaking my head. "The only way we could ever find him is if he wanted us to."

"HAVE HOPE, YOUNG GRASSHOPPER!"

I shrieked at the sudden outburst and whirled around. Alex was stood before me, sporting a pink morph suit and an abnormally large bottle of beer.

"What in the actual fuck is going on-"

Alex interrupted me with a startled gasp. I frowned at him and he pressed a finger to his lips, shaking his head.

"Language, young lady. Your mouth is almost as dirty as your-"

"That's enough, Beta!" Damien snapped. "Why have you been drinking?"

"Drinking?" Alex slurred. "Nah ah, Mister I'm-Gonna-Intimidate-Your-Ass, I don't drink. I simply breathe liquids."

"Using that." I whispered quietly.

"You can't just get drunk, Alex. You have real responsibilities as a Beta. You can't just ignore them for the sake of ignoring them!" Damien barked.