Chapter IX

HELLO YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: thatgirlwhowrites_8

Anyway, the question for today: Movies or books?

The forest loomed before me, shrouded in darkness. I hesitantly moved past the thick undergrowth and ducked beneath the gnarled branches, delving deeper into the confinement of the spruce trees. A small orb of light guided my descent into the unknown, speaking in the whispers of a forgotten language. Slowly, I reached out to touch the light, too weak to deny my curiosity. As my fingers came into contact with the warm hue, a slash of pain rippled throughout my spine and I was rendered unconscious.

"Are you okay, Miss Matthews?"

I awoke with a start, still incapacitated by the pain that plagued my entire body. The kind receptionist, with whom I had acquainted myself when I checked in, was stood at the foot of my bed, frowning in concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I brushed off the nightmare, smiling weakly.

"Sorry, I guess I heard you screaming and I-"

Before she could finish her sentence, I interjected with a breathless laugh. "It's fine, I was just having a nightmare. I guess I wanted to let everyone else know too."

"If you're okay..." she moved towards the door, gauging my reaction.

I just smiled and nodded. "Go, I'm fine. You have a business to run!"

As she exited my room, I flopped back down onto the bed and clutched my stomach. The time, I had noticed, was 10am. School had started an hour ago.

"Oops," I deadpanned.

After a few minutes of lolling around, I padded onto the balcony. The streets below me were adorned by the feet of busy civilians. It was only when I sat down to relax that I noticed a group of men, clad in black.

Fuck.

As if sensing my distress, they looked up at me in turn. Small, triumphant smirks blossomed on their faces and I hastily retreated into the bathroom.

"The little bastards," I cursed, trying to smash the small window with the shower head. "Go suck your Alpha's dick."

"Come here, Thea!"

This stranger pronounced my name wrong. "IT IS PRONOUNCED TAY-A!"

When the glass finally shattered, I realised that the gap was far too narrow for me to shove myself through. I knew that the werewolves outside would catch me easily if I ran now; if I stayed here, they may not discover my whereabouts. I bolted the door and shoved myself behind the toilet, whispering a quick prayer.

"You can't hide from werewolves." one laughed.

But I can hide from idiots.

My heart was pounding. A lump formed in my throat as a sharp slash of pain ripped through my abdomen once more; the urge to cry out was proving difficult to fight.

"Come out, Thea. We know you're in the bathroom, and if you don't comply with our demands, we'll be forced to remove the door from its hinges. Do you really want to add to the stress of your friend?"