Chapter XXXI

A/N: Sorry I took so long to update... I got a lower mark than usual in my English narrative and it made me doubt my abilities. Needless to say, I managed to update, though it isn't very long  :/

QUESTION FOR TODAY: What do you aspire to be when you're older? I still have no clue!

Damien launched into action, whilst I stood motionless.

The light in Jake's eyes had long since faded into the soulless depths that I now stared into. His skin, once sun kissed and bronze, was now waxen and pallid. For some reason, the sight of his corpse didn't unnerve me anymore; I had seen the dead before. I simply stood, cold and apathetic, as chaos erupted in my midst.

"Thea? Are you okay?" Damien asked worriedly, pulling me into an embrace.

I didn't take my eyes off of Jake's body as it was lifted from the stake. My breaths were deep and steady, which perturbed Damien even more. I couldn't bring myself to care. Both myself and my wolf had snapped, in the worst way possible.

We no longer cared what happened.

"I'm fine." I said absently. "Are you? You're ashen."

He didn't offer a verbal reply. Instead he simply bowed his head until I could feel his breath fanning my cheeks. His eyes, of a mysterious and devastatingly beautiful hue, were what drew me in. The apathy that had once dictated my words had been lost to a deep rooted desire, one that only Damien could activate. I inhaled sharply, overwhelmed by fervent desire, as his lips grazed mine.

"Thea," he groaned.

I snaked my hands in his hair and pulled him closer. His tongue traced the seam of my lips before delving into my mouth. His tender kisses made me think of summer, where the cacophony of beautiful flowers mingle with the evergreen tussocks. Where the sun kisses the ground, chasing away the shadows until only sun flecked alcoves- which allowed respite from the garish rays- remained.

It was as if these nostalgic thoughts evoked the grief that dwelled inside. I broke apart from the kiss and sagged in my mate's arms, releasing the tears I didn't realise I'd been fighting.

"It's okay." He murmured softly.

"No it isn't!" I shrieked dejectedly. "Jake's been skewered like a bloody kebab!"

He carried me bridal style into the house, barking loud orders at the new Beta and Gamma. He dropped me onto the couch, though I barely registered any pain. I couldn't see through my tears, never mind feel anything other than grief.

"Why'd you have to kiss me? I was perfectly happy being a cold bitch." I sobbed.

"Because that's not you, Thea. You're a fighter. You know that everything is okay-"

"It isn't!" I screamed brokenly. "I don't know which Thea you're talking about- whoever she is, she's way too optimistic."

"Fine!" he threw his hands up in the air and broke down into tears. "Nothing is ever going to be fucking okay. Does that make you feel better?"

Seeing a man cry always reduced me to tears. Seeing an Alpha cry was scary. Seeing my mate cry, however, was something else entirely.

"I'm sorry," I sighed, wrapping my arms around his neck. "I didn't think about how much this must've affected you."

He grunted, hiding his face in my hair. In any other situation I would've found his childish antics amusing, but at that moment I couldn't do anything but console him. As strained as Damien and Jake's friendship had become, I knew they still shared a strong bond.

I knew how it felt to lose my best friend.

"We're going to find him, Damien." I said determinedly. "I promise."

He inhaled sharply and righted himself. A small frown tugged at his lips and I placed a hand on his cheek.

"We aren't just going to find him. We're going to kill him." Damien replied.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

"Did Tom kill him?"

"What do we do?"

"This means war!"

Damien stepped up to the pedestal. "Silence!"

The chatter immediately quieted.

"We have reason to believe that Tom is the estranged killer of Jake. What happened was not only traitorous, but also a direct insult to our pack and all it stands for. And I, the Alpha of this pack, refuse to let such an apathetic killer torment us any longer." He boomed.

A chorus of cheers and triumphant hollers followed his speech. My qualms faded out of existence and a satisfied smile played on my lips. The pack would follow us. Me.

"I declare war on the hybrids!"

Chaos erupted. Some people grabbed their weapons unconsciously, whilst others roared in acceptance. Damien, the ever serious Alpha, stood before the hectic crowd and raised a hand. Everyone followed suit, pledging their allegiance.

It was done.

____________________________________________________________

Tom's POV

Harry walked into my chambers and I slammed the potion against the table, annoyed by his intrusion. He held his hands up in mock surrender and smirked.

"They've seen it. Damien's even gone as far as to declare war." he raised an eyebrow.

"Just as I expected. Ready our forces. Convert Christina as soon as possible- we need all the fighters we can acquire."

Harry nodded solemnly and exited the room. I turned back to my work and grinned.

Everything was falling into place.