Chapter V ***

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Summer or winter?

*three weeks later*

"You'll have fun, T. I promise."

Uncle Tom stood beside me as the pair of men readied the car. I didn't dare look at him, or attempt to make conversation. Everything felt so surreal.

After Eric's...shapeshifting, I'd fainted. When I awoke, screaming and thrashing in the most unladylike manner, my Uncle calmly set me down and explained everything. He was a werewolf, just as my father had been, and my mother had been human. That made me a hybrid—half human, half Lycan, shiftless but gifted (courtesy of my father's strength) with the Sight, a rare and unusual ability.

I still hadn't gotten used to it all. I hardly looked at my Uncle or his two friends. As far as I was concerned, I was still human. However, my Uncle insisted that I had to attend a Lycan school, for the Sight sometimes came with...other abilities, which would be best nurtured at a supernatural school. I'd protested, screaming until my lungs were hoarse, kicking until Tom's shins turned blue, but he was unfaltering.

So here I was, getting ready for my first day at a new school. Again.

"Are you ready?"

No, I wanted to say, but instead I nodded.

I clambered into the sleek SUV. Apparently, it was of paramount importance that I arrived to this 'Lycan' school in style. My outfit, which I had clumsily thrown together five minutes prior, consisted of a plain white blouse and a pair of high waisted jeans. If Tom thought that I would pretend to be something I'm not, he was very much mistaken. I was a girl from Yorkshire, born and bred in relentless rain. Nothing could phase me; or at least, that's what I used to believe. Apparently, my shapeshifting Uncle had managed to shake my resolution.

"It'll be fun. Lycans make the best companions." Airon grinned.

"Yeah. I'm sure they make brilliant lap dogs." I snapped, rolling my eyes.

His hands tightened on the wheel. I bit my lip, immediately regretting my snarky comment. I was playing a dangerous game; a werewolf, complete with the muscly build, was sat in front of me. Was it really the time to make unnecessary and potentially evocative comments?

Probably not, but I would continue to do so anyway.

"I'd be careful about how you address your peers and teachers. Lycans are beings of intense pride, and we don't take sarcasm and snarky remarks lightly." he bit back.

"Sorry." I said.

"Any more puns you want to get off your chest? We are here, after all."

I grinned mischievously. "Not really. I'll save them all for later."

He raised an eyebrow and skidded to a stop. The clouds had parted, giving way to a sun that bathed the ground in glorious sunlight. Despite the situation, I stopped to admire it. The scene was beautiful. I loved how the birds flocked under the light, and how the garish beams were softened by the rosy hues of a dying sunrise- and, to my unprecedented surprise, I loved how the serene silence was only occasionally broken by the susurration of leaves in the gentle breeze.

Gathering my courage, I drew a breath and clambered out of the car. In the distance, my new school friends were entering the building adjacent to mine, unaware of today's happenings. I wanted to be blissfully innocent like them. This new supernatural world that had been shoved down my throat was one I did not care to acquaint myself with.

A chorus of laughs tore through my reverie and I looked up from my shoes, hesitantly moving forward. These people were all beautiful. I furrowed my brows in confusion and the crowd broke around me. I stood out like a sore thumb. My hair, which was a dull, mousy brown, stood starkly against theirs, and I was pallid in my complexion. These Lycans were all gifted with an olive skin tone.

"Who the hell are you?"

A girl stepped out from the crowd and offered me a disdainful grimace. Raising my eyebrows, I straightened. Already, I was being confronted by a supernatural force.

"My name is Thea." I replied.

"She's British!" one of the guys whispered. "I dig British chicks."

"You're not a Lycan." she deadpanned.

"Luckily enough for me, you are correct." I snorted. "Au revoir!"

Without offering her another glance, I walked briskly through the doors and into reception.

____________________________________________________________

"P.E? First period? On a Tuesday?" I exclaimed.

"I know, it sucks," my guide, Lexi, offered me an apologetic smile. "It's going to be even worse for you, considering that you're not a Lycan."

I frowned. "Why?"

"We are somewhat more evolved than you mund—humans," she corrected her mistake with a breathless sigh.

"In what way?"

"We're much stronger and faster than you are. You'll find it difficult to keep up." she stated, shrugging.

"Thanks for raising my spirits," I said glumly, wringing my hands together. "My day seems marginally more awful now."

Lexi's eyes creased with concern and she clasped my forearm in her dainty, manicured hand.

"I'm sorry, I'm putting you off! It won't be that bad, I'm sure."

"But you just said--"

Before I could finish my sentence, she grabbed me by the shoulders and marched me through a suspiciously large door. Upon entering, I realised that this was the gymnasium; ropes hung from the ceiling, and worn tennis rackets littered the floor.

"Changing rooms are to the left. Enjoy your day!" with one last beaming smile, she disappeared out of the doors and left me to fend for myself.

"Uh, hello?" I received no reply and quickly checked my timetable.

I was definitely in the right place--P.E, first period. The gymnasium, however, was completely deserted. I sighed and shuffled into the changing rooms.

"As if I have to wear a sports bra," I grumbled to myself. "Who the fuck wears a sports bra in P.E?"

"We do."

I whirled around, covering my chest with my shirt. A group of girls were stood at the door, laughing at my shocked expression. I bit the inside of my lip and shrugged off my pants. Their presence was unnerving, sure, but I was going to have to get used to it. They were my classmates, after all.

"I feel kind of sorry for you. Born with the Sight, yet so much less than the Lycans. Somewhere in between, almost...meaningless." one of them sighed innocently.

"At least I don't have an ego the size of your arse." I snorted, grabbing my bag.

"What did you just say to me?" she exclaimed, raising her eyebrows.

"Don't worry your little mind. I'm just a girl with the Sight, after all. Meaningless." I grinned.

"I'll tell my mate about this!"

I slowly wheeled around, and looked at each girl in turn. "I don't give a fuck."

With those words hanging in the air, I slammed the door behind me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

=\