Chapter XXII

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Cake or cookies?

I opened my mouth to object but Alex silenced me with a look. Deep down, I knew he was correct. I'd suspected it myself, though I didn't want to admit it... Alexis was the note leaver. She'd seen the opportunity to spy on me, uncover all my secrets, and yet still coerce me into thinking she was my friend. She'd fooled me.

"You know it's true, Thea. You just won't admit it to yourself." Alex muttered.

"Are you sure, Gamma?" Damien asked.

He nodded uncertainly. "I'm fairly confident. Don't make any rash decisions until we're sure, though-"

Damien was shaking with anger. Although I was a tangled plethora of negative emotions, I had enough sense to know that he needed to be calmed. I closed my eyes and placed a reassuring hand over his heart.

"I'm okay," I whispered soothingly. "I promise."

His laboured breaths soon turned to deep exhalations and I pulled him into an embrace, trailing my fingers down the gentle indents of his spine. His lips caught mine for a mere second before he reluctantly pulled away, aware of Alex's presence.

"Oh god," he mumbled, breaking the icy tension. "Fifty shades of Wolf has returned!"

I released a breathless laugh, much to the distaste of my mate. He was glaring at Alex with darkened orbs- apparently, judging by his expression, this was not the time for humorous remarks.

"Anyway," Alex scratched the back of his head. "What's the plan, Alpha?"

He seemed to deliberate his options for a moment before meeting my gaze, expressionless. "I'm going to organise an emergency pack meeting- one which you, Thea, must attend- and outline what will happen then. Spread the word, Alex. I want everyone in the meeting room by 9."

Alex nodded solemnly and hurried out of the door. As soon as he left, I released a heaving sob and wrapped my arms around myself. I'd believed in her. She was one of my few friends, and she stabbed me in the back.

What truly upset me was the fact that I had practically handed her the knife.

"It hurts to see you like this." Damien murmured softly, interrupting my line of thought. "I'll find her. And when I do, she'll be greeted by a silver blade."

I winced at the thought and snaked my arms around his waist. "This is utter bullshit. How dare she think that she can play me like this!"

He offered no reply. Instead, he lifted my chin with his forefinger until our lips were inches apart.

My fears fell into oblivion as I gazed wonderingly into his eyes, marvelling at his beauty. He was watching me, as if committing every detail to memory. His gaze wandered from my quivering lips to the slight rise in my shoulders as I breathed. Every so slowly, as if awaiting my confirmation, his hands slid to my waist. I inhaled sharply, overwhelmed by the urge to capture his lips with mine. That seemed to be confirmation enough for him; without a moments hesitation, he pulled me into him. A soft moan rumbled in his chest and I gasped. He took this as his chance to deepen the kiss and I explored the perfect contours of his mouth, shuddering.

The moment was shattered by Roxy, who came barrelling into the room. I hurriedly pulled away from my mate, although he kept an arm around my waist. I could see the smug smile playing on his lips as I grimaced.

"What's this about you holding a pack meeting? You can't do this to me, Damien- I was going to watch KuWTK tonight." She sulked, placing her hands on her hips.

He frowned in puzzlement. "Wait, what? What's that?"

"Keeping up with the Kardashians, idiot." She rolled her eyes as if as much was obvious.