Chapter XXVIII

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Curly hair or straight hair?

He offered me a huge grin and stepped into the light.  Upon seeing his face, I wasn't sure what to feel. I was confused, conflicted, upset- Harry said that his master wanted to marry me. Yet Uncle Tom, the man with whom I shared a blood relation, was stood before me. I shrank back and grimaced.

"But Harry said-"

"Everything Harry said was true, T." Uncle Tom explained. "You will be my bride, and together we will conquer every mated Lycän that has ever lived."

I leaned forward as far as the shackles would allow. "You sicken me."

"How nice." the manic grin scoped his entire face.

"Why would you want to kill only mated Lycäns? And why would you want your fucking niece to be your bride?" I asked, fighting nausea.

"You are as stupid as she was," he replied icily. "I want to kill mated Lycäns because they have everything I never had. How is that fair? Why should I suffer whilst they indulge in their precious little bond-"

"Master," Harry quickly intervened. "She asked why you wanted to take her as your bride."

Uncle Tom offered no verbal reply. Instead, he simply stalked towards me. I cringed backwards, narrowly avoided his calloused hands as they reached for me. He shook his head at my rebuttal and yanked me into his arms, effectively tearing the cuffs from their hinges. As much as his touch repulsed me, I had to play along. I was free- this was my opportunity.

Damien? Can you hear me? I tried to contact him again but I received no reply.

"I feel faint." I lied, staggering.

I was sure I was pale enough already to pull this feigned illness off. Uncle Tom's grip slackened slightly as he peered into my eyes.

"I'll get the Nurse." Harry said.

His retreating footsteps meant that my chance was drawing ever closer. Uncle Tom was double my size- even at my height- and consumed by fiery intent. I wasn't going to outfight him. My only option was to try and harness my powers.

"Are you feeling better, T?" Tom asked.

A sly grin graced my face. "I am now."

Fire scoped my arms, erupting from every pore. Tom's hands- which were currently resting on my wrists- were immediately scalded by the merciless flames. He screamed in agony and collapsed on the floor, incapacitated.

Now!

I didn't question the strange voice for a second. I darted out of the door and took to the stairs, paying no heed to the inquisitive stares that followed my every move. My eyes raked the hallway for a door, and upon finding none, I bolted through yet another winding corridor. My heart sunk to my stomach when I realised my only option was to hide in the basement of all places.

I wouldn't go down there.

The mysterious voice was back. I hesitated for a moment, conflicted. I didn't know who or what was talking to me, but I knew that this was a matter of life or death. To hesitate was to die.

"Fuck it." I swore.

I crept down the ladder and threw a glance over my shoulder. No one was following me- at least, not from what I could see- so my only option was to hide until a better idea came to me.