Chapter XXXV

LAST CHAPTER GAH *cries*

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Have you enjoyed the book? 😊

The chance of rain, when you put it into perspective, is infinitesimal. A plethora of intricate factors must first combine in a halting soprano; it is then, and only then, that the rain bleeds into reality. It isn't immediate. It begins when the clouds darken, when the winds sharpens; and then, after a few tense moments of silence, the downpour reaches its peak, mingling with the heady air.

That's how the wolves came.

They infiltrated our pack grounds how rain infiltrates soil; slowly, and then all at once. I'd been readying myself for the attack both mentally and physically when Damien stole my breath with a passionate kiss. It was as if he was saying goodbye.

And it scared me.

"Are you alright, Luna?"

Alex, all playfulness gone, was rallying the pack alongside Damien. I nodded. It was a lie, of course, but I could hardly say otherwise. Some of these people would lose their lives over a Luna with whom they were barely acquainted. It made me feel sick.

"Have the infiltrators been taken care of?" I asked, trying to squander the quake in my voice.

"Yes, but the borders are failing. There are wolves at each post, and I'm not sure we can take anymore hits." Alex said.

Damien came up from behind me. I turned into his embrace and closed my eyes. His comfort was what both my restless wolf and I needed. He was our mate, after all-

"You're not fighting."'

Wait, what?!

"You're kidding right?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "You have to be clowning."

"No, I'm not." His eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "I can't risk losing you, Thea. You're my life. If you die, I'll follow."

"And I kind of need Damien to survive or I'll have to be Alpha, and that is not an option." Alex grinned lightheartedly.

"You can't stop me from fighting my own battles." I said.

"But I can fight them for you." he murmured.

A scream pierced the air and panic flashed in Damien's eyes. I tried to dismiss my own nervousness and instead looked up at the sky, captivated by the flecks of snow that tumbled from above. The bite of the winter gust was as harsh as ever; my skin rose in goosebumps, and my lips blued almost instantly.

"Please, Thea. Just go inside." Damien pleaded.

"No."

Damien didn't like my answer. Instead of listening to him blabber on about my imminent death, etc etc, I turned to face the onslaught of snow. It obscured my vision, yes, but I could still see the crude outline of an approaching wolf. Judging by the snarls that resonated throughout the clearing, it wasn't alone.

"I'm sorry." sighed Damien.

Before I had chance to reply I was thrown over his shoulder. Screams of my own conjuring escaped my lips as I threw my fists against his muscled back. I knew his plan; he was so terrified of me getting hurt that he was going to lock me up in some dusty old cellar. I'd read all the Wattpad stories!