Chapter XIV

QUESTION FOR TODAY: In light of recent confrontation...Taylor Swift or Katy Perry?

It was proving difficult to conceal my scars.

I was deathly afraid of letting Damien- or anyone else, for that matter- see them. Despite the fact I had not intentionally marred my wrists, they formed in my heightened despair and looked to be of my own creation. Not only was I afraid of what others may think, but I was also bemused by their origin.

That night, after making the consecutive decision to sleep in my old room, I shrugged off my dress and regarded my reflection. As the scars caught my gaze, I fought the urge to cry. They were ugly- shockingly so. My wrists were, despite my gravest efforts, still tinged red by the congealed blood I'd so determinedly scrubbed off the night prior. If someone was to see them; well, Damien would probably reject me. If he wasn't planning to already...

I shook my head, trying to forget my fears. All I needed to worry about was myself. If Damien didn't care for me, then I would care for myself instead. I didn't need him. He needed me.

I exhaled deeply and pulled a nightgown over my head. The moon hung in the sky, kissing the floor with a luminous glow. It was undoubtedly beautiful here; the only sound to be heard was the susurration of leaves in the gentle breeze. If you concentrated you could catch a glimpse of the wolves as they whizzed through the trees- blurs of fur and claws, carved of greyish hues. Their presence, when graced by the moon's light, seemed almost magical.

"I am lucky," I told myself. "I have been granted a gift that most would die for."

The Sight, after all, was a gift.

I think.

The buzz of a phone broke my reverie and I turned, wide eyed. My phone had been confiscated on arrival. Filled with dread and curiosity, I surveyed the room. A mobile was conveniently placed upon the drawer. Frowning, I pressed the home button and was surprised to find it unlocked.

1 New Message: Unknown number

My entire body stilled. My eyes raked the room once more, and, upon realising I was alone, I read the message aloud.

"The scars suit you."

The phone clattered to the floor as my hands flew to cover my mouth. Someone was watching me- this message served as proof. Whoever it was, they were close enough to know of my scars.

"Who the fuck are you?" I screamed, losing my patience.

My question remained unanswered and my temper flared. Coward. The lamp on my bedside table began to flicker and I cursed in frustration, clutching fistfuls of my hair.

"You're a coward," I spit harshly. "You killed my friend, you leave me notes and you terrorise me everywhere I go. I hope you're fucking proud of yourself, because as soon as I find you, you'll waste away in a prison cell for the rest of your pathetic life."

Silence.

"Nice talk," I smiled sweetly before retiring to my bed, feigning confidence.

"Thea, run!"

My dad stood before me. Two harsh lacerations marred his neck, and his eyes were wide with frenzied desperation. I screamed aloud and reached for his hand, though the distance between us grew larger with every breath I drew.

"It burns," he murmured, reaching for his neck. "Everything burns."

"Thea?!"

I awoke with a start, and was surprised to find myself in somebody's arms. Under the spell of my disorientation I expected to meet the gaze of my mate, although I found myself peering into Jake's eyes. What was even more bemusing was our situation; we were stood outside, surrounded by bustling crowds. Sighing, I offered him a confused frown.

"How the fuck are you still alive?" he asked, worrying over me with a small frown.

"What are you talking-"

As he slowly lowered me to the floor, the words died in my throat. Fire raged in the pack house, emitting gusts of copious black smoke. The flames leapt from room to room, and devoured all that stood in their path with fervency.

"How?" I managed.

"We don't know." He replied, chewing his lip.

I looked around. Families were screaming, overwhelmed with fear and distress. I fought the urge to comfort them, and instead looked towards my mate. He was stood before the building, holding hands with Leila. I stomached my nausea and hugged Jake instead, aware of his pain.

"I'm sorry. This must be awful for you." I whispered.

A sudden stab of pain had me falling to the ground, gasping. With Jake's arms still around my waist I took off towards the building; my legs carried me forward without my conscious volition. Damien, who was enraptured by the blazing flames, was torn from his reverie at the sight of me. He pulled away from Leila and reached for my hand, roaring commands. I broke away from him and tore into the flames.

I didn't understand what I was doing. All I knew was that something was pulling me into the fire- perhaps a scream, or an unspoken plea. The flames licked at my clothes, though my skin was unscathed. All that burned was my steely desire to move up the stairs.

Many steps were missing, and others were unstable. The fire had consumed everything- the walls were blackened, and the air was thick with  smoke. My lungs ached, though not for the fog. I was wheezing because I was far too unfit.

I scrambled onto the fourth floor and surveyed my surroundings. A room at the end of hallway caught my attention and I crept towards it, wincing as the floorboards beneath my feet groaned. A piercing wail broke the tense silence and I flung open the door, raking the room. It was a nursery. One cot, tucked in the far corner of the room, still housed a baby. I hurried towards it and wrapped him in my arms, cooing softly despite the situation. The flames licked at the door frame and I winced, fully aware of the danger I had put the pair of us in.

I peered out of the window which stood in place of a wall. Everyone was staring at me from below, and the gaze of my mate was the one that caught my attention. His eyes were boring into mine with such intensity that I struggled to breathe. I could feel his fear flowing through the mate bond and I gulped.

"Don't be scared," I whispered, kissing the babies forehead. "I'll protect you."

The fire was spreading across the floor, licking at my feet. With a terrified scream I flung myself out of the window, back first.