Chapter 26

"Ready?" Isabella asked me. I sighed. "Hell no." I muttered. "Come on. It'll be fun." She insisted, smiling at me. We were about to go to the doctor together. And I was in no way, shape, or form ready to make this pregnant that much more real to me. "I think we have a different ideas of fun." I said, walking with her to the front door. "You might be able to tell the sex." She said, opening the front door. "I doubt that this early." I shrugged, following her to her car. "Probably. But you never know." She shrugged. "Just for you we can get some Nandos on the way back." Isabella said as we backed out of the driveway. She probably noticed my face. How scared and upset I was that this is actually happening. "We should've probably brought someone who isn't pregnant with us." I said, staring straight ahead of me as raindrops rolled off of the windshield. "Why's that?" She asked, her eyes glued to the road. "I think I read somewhere that pregnant women aren't supposed to drive." I said, looking over at her. "And why is that?" She asked. "I have no idea." I said, giggling. My phone started ringing and I got it out of my pocket. It was Simon. Weird. "Hello?" I answered the phone. I heard him sigh on the other end. "Everything alright?" He asked. "Simon, we just left the house." I said. "Yeah. I-I know." He said. "Is everything okay with you?" I asked, trying to make my voice sound concerned. "Yeah. I'm good. I just...I still can't believe we're gonna have a baby." He said, his voice hoarse. Now was not the time nor place to have this conversation. "Yeah well, you better believe it." I shrugged. It's not like I was making Simon keep and take care of this baby. He chose to keep it, and I'm respecting his decision. Whether or not he takes care of it is completely his call. "I-I should probably go. Call or text me when you're on your way home please." He said. "Alright. Bye." I said, thankful the call didn't last too long. And he hung up. Just like that. "Who was that?" Isabella asked. "Simon." I shrugged, putting my phone back into my pocket. "What did he want?" She asked. "Just checking up." I said, holding back a sigh. "We just left." She said with a small laugh. I smiled. "Yeah I know.

     "Well........It's still too early to know the gender quite yet, but next time I think it'll be ready then." The nurse said. The gel stuff was really cold on my stomach and just looking at the whole room made my head spin. I nodded in response, though my eyes were glued to a spot on the ceiling. "I think that's all for today. Baby is healthy and good to go. But I do have one concern." She said. I forced myself to look at her as she printed out an ultrasound picture and handed it to me. I didn't want to look at it yet, so I just handed it to Isabella. She turned back to me with a rag in her hands and started wiping the stuff off of my stomach. Thank God. She sat back down and I sat up, pulling my shirt down. "Were you born with that?" She asked, pointing to my prosthetic. "Oh. No. I got into a car accident." I said, nodding to myself. "Oh okay. I just noticed it. Umm...anyways have you been eating enough?" She asked. I nodded slowly. "Well, you might want to eat just a little bit more for the baby's health. I mean, you're a month pregnant and don't have much weight on you." She explained, smiling at the last part. I nodded slowly. I did eat enough, everyone made sure of that. I'm just a tall, lanky, scrawny person. It's who I've always been and who I'll always be. Well maybe not anymore. "We were actually about to go get some food now. Ready?" Isabella stepped in, standing up from her seat. I got off of the table and awkwardly stood there, towering over the short nurse. "You're scheduled for next month." She said, smiling at me and writing something down. I nodded before following Isabella out of the small room. We were soon outside and in the car. "You okay? You look a little pale." Isabella broke the silence, reaching to put a hand on my forehead. "I'm good." I said, pulling away from her hand. She sighed before starting the car. I texted Simon telling him that we were going to Nandos. "Here." Isabella said, making me look up at her from my phone. She held the ultrasound picture in her hand out to me and I took it slowly. I stared at it for a while. I would've never imagined that I would be pregnant. Never. But I am. And given the circumstances, I wish I wasn't. I wiped a tear I didn't even know had fallen. This is going to be hard.

     "We're home!" Isabella called up the stairs. Simon was the first to appear at the top of the stairs and Isabella disappeared into the kitchen, leaving us alone. He just stared at me expectantly. I held up the photo in between my middle and index finger and he smiled excitedly. I don't know Simon's feelings towards the whole situation, but so far he's been pretty excited I guess. I have no idea why. I'm scared shitless. He jogged down the stairs towards me and I handed the picture to him. He looked down at it, a smile plastered on his face. He glanced up at me before looking back down. "Still too early to know the gender." I said. He nodded, still smiling. "Why are you so happy?" I asked, examining his facial expression. He looked up at me and just sighed before walking towards me and slinging an arm over my shoulder. He held the picture out in front of us for us both to look at. And he looked back at it, smiling again. I didn't look at it, I looked at him. He was genuinely happy and excited, all of the nervousness completely gone. Maybe I should start looking at it like he was. We were going to be a family. But I already had a family. This was just a new addition.