Chapter 20

Light rays of sunshine crept their way through the thin curtains in the hotel room, you could hear the calming sound of the ocean waves crashing onto the shore of the beach, just metres away from the building. The only other sound you could hear was Damian's soft breathing as he was lying beside you. You turned over to face him and your (e/c) eyes met his dazzling green irises.

"Morning," you smiled softly at him.

"Good morning (Y/N)," he tucked a strand of hair that was in your face behind your ear and stroked your head.

"You feeling ok?" He asked.

"Everything's perfect, why wouldn't I be?" You put your arm around his back and shuffled closer to him.

"It's 7 am, I've never seen you awake this early if there's no school."

"I guess I'm just not used to these Hawaiian times, plus having so much light in the morning is new to me as well."

"That's what happens when you leave Gotham; you get to see the sun," he chuckled.

"Yeah, it's a nice change," you yawned as you got out of bed and walked over to the mini bar. You had only managed to get a few hours of sleep as your plane landed late the previous night. You thirstily downed a bottle of water, you couldn't remember the last time you had a drink and you suddenly realised how thirsty you really were the moment the cold liquid touched your lips.

"I can't wait to get to the beach," You said as you started to unpack your bag and decide which of the many outfits you brought with you to wear.

"Me too, I need to work on my suntan," he joked as he climbed out of bed and did the same.

It was 8 am by the time you got downstairs to the restaurant for breakfast. It was moderately empty as February wasn't the most popular season for travelling even though the weather still had high temperatures even at this time of day.

You got to the beach an hour later, after stuffing yourself with pancakes, waffles and various other breakfast foods. The scenery was beautiful, the water was a perfect turquoise that crashed onto the white sand at the shore. The sun was already up high in the clear blue sky and beamed down on the ocean, making it look as if it was covered in a layer of billions of diamonds. You really missed the feeling of the sun's rays warming your skin, instead of Gotham's rain pouring down on you, feeling like lots of small, icy daggers falling from above.

The temperature must have been around 80°F already but there was a soft, cooling breeze that came from the direction of the sea.

"Follow me," Damian said and took your hand. You did as he said and followed him towards the end of the beach, there were just rocks from now on.

"What are we doing all the way out here?" You asked, looking back at the hotel which was far behind you in the distance.

"You trust me don't you?" He climbed on top of one of the large, jagged boulders.

"Of course."

"Then come with me, I promise you'll love it," he held out his hand for you to reach.

You grabbed onto his arm and pulled yourself up onto the boulder next to him. Luckily the tide hadn't come this far in yet so the surface was relatively dry for you to climb across the rocks.

Soon enough you realised what Damian had made you come all this way to see. There was a large opening in the cliff beside you and the ocean gently flowed through this gap to fill the area with crystal clear water. Damian dropped down into the water and you did the same. It was lukewarm and was only thigh-high so you didn't have to get too much of your clothes wet. As you got deeper into the cave, the water got shallower and you were soon on the shore of a small beach. Above you there was another opening at the top of the cliff, which flooded the cave with light, this reminded you of the type of place you would find mermaids it just had that mystical element to it.

"This place is amazing, how did you know it was here?" You asked in awe.

"I came here a few years ago with my brothers, father thought it would be a good opportunity to bond together as a family if we all went on vacation," he explained.

After a few hours of talking and having a water fight on your own little private beach, the temperature was slowly rising and the two of you decided to make your way back to the hotel to get a drink and tell Dick that you were ok.

When you entered the building you found that the main lobby was completely empty, usually, you would be greeted by the owner at the front desk as he had met Damian a few times already. 

As you walked nearer, you saw why the lobby was empty, you were horrified. You had to quickly cover your mouth to stop yourself from screaming, in case whoever did this was still nearby. Damian saw the look on your face and hurried over, behind the desk was the motionless body of the hotel owner, a single katana blade impaled his heart as the body sat upright against the wall.

You had never seen anything like this before, you were shaking and tears were making their way to the surface of your eyes.

Damian tightly gripped your arm, "Everything's going to be okay, I need you to come with me," he whispered and took you towards the staircase so you could get to your room.

You came across more dead bodies on your way, there was blood splattered all over the walls and furniture was smashed to pieces. Damian had covered your eyes with his hand by the time you got to the top of the stairs, there were tears running down your cheeks now and your legs had gone do limp you could barely walk, there were so many thoughts going through your head right now.

The door to your room was the only one open on the whole floor and when you entered you were shocked to see a dead looking Nightwing lying on the floor.

You both hurried over to him,

"Nightwing!" Damian whisper-shouted, frantically checking for a pulse. The man's skin had turned a light grey colour, luckily he was still breathing lightly.

"Damian... (Y/N)..... You need to... to get as f-far away... from here as you c-can."