Chapter 38

Damian's POV

I was first to jump from the Batwing, and I glided towards the ship with Grayson using the parachute not far behind. We landed on the League's ship soon after and luckily the coast was clear for a while.

"Nightwing, we'll check the top deck and make our way down. Understood?" I whispered in his direction. He nodded in reply and followed me through the porthole at the top of the ship. It took us to the inside of the boat and in front of me was a long corridor. The only noise audible was the light breathing of Nightwing and me, there seemed to be no one else here.

But I knew I was wrong. I saw with my own eyes (Y/N) being taken onto this very ship, accompanied by my mother and her assassins.

I motioned to Nightwing that it was safe to carry on and make our way through the ship. As we did so we got to a thick door at the end of the corridor. I tried turning the wheel to open it but it made the loudest creeping sound I had ever heard.

"There goes the element of surprise," I heard Nightwing mutter to himself from behind me. I decided against arguing with him, we didn't have that sort of time, I could already hear the group of assassins coming after us. Fuck it. I turned the wheel even more, which created more noise but got us out of the corridor. We quickly went through the door and locked or behind us, however, now we were standing at the top of a staircase with assassins sprinting up from the bottom with a goal to murder us.

"Robin! Up here!" Nightwing whisper-shouted whilst climbing up into the ventilation shaft on the ceiling. I quickly followed and we crawled through the narrow space in hope that we weren't heard and that it would take us somewhere a little less heated. Unfortunately, it only led us to a dead end, however, more, fortunately, mother's assassins didn't know where we were... for now.

I turned the lenses on my mask to X-ray vision to search for a clear room we could access from our current position and luckily we were right on top of a room, but it was heavily guarded.

"Nightwing, I need you to use your laser cutter to cut through here, we're right on top of what looks like the security controls," I explained in a whisper.

"Are you crazy?! This room is loaded with insane murderers who, by the way, are trying to kill us! We can't just drop in and expect them to be like 'yeah sure you guys can access all our security operations and top secret classified ninja assassin files'!" He whisper-shouted at me again.

"I'm not an imbecile, I know the league will put up a fight but remember I was raised by their leader for the first ten years of my life and I was trained by the demon's head himself, he is my freaking grandfather!"

"How do you manage to bring up the fact that you were raised by assassins at least once a day in any conversation?! I get it, you don't need to keep reminding me how you are the 'grandson of the demon's head'!"

"If you weren't such a- ugh, we need to focus on the task at hand here we don't have time for petty arguments. The plan is: we drop in, kick the shit out of the guys down there, access the security controls and find (Y/N). Understood?"

"Yes, sir!" And with that Nightwing followed his orders and we dropped down into the room. At this point, we already had around 10 assassins charging towards us, with their swords ready to attack. Nightwing and I stayed back to back, mostly defending and fought off anyone who came at us until I got hold of a sword and started attacking. It wasn't long until my incredible ninja moves took out the rest of the members of the league in the room.

"Robin, over here!" I jogged to where Nightwing was standing and in front of him was all the screens of the camera footage on the ship and all the controls for the doors and generators.

"Where's (Y/N)?"

"I'm looking, I'm looking..."

I quickly scanned all the screens, searching for her as Nightwing went through all the footage. "There!" I pointed to one of the screens, (Y/N) was being taken through a thick door, accompanied by my mother and some other league members. I looked over all the screens again, there was nothing else, that was the last place she was seen. "We've got to find that door, locate where that camera is."

"Already done it, it's right at the lower level of the ship, but fortunately for us, there's a shortcut, one where we can be invisible."

"What are you waiting for? A medal? Let's move, it's only a matter of minutes before more assassins will be back here for us!"

I followed him to a large pipe opening, "Here, we can slide down and we'll then only be a few metres away from that door." Nightwing explained. "Ladies first," he gestured for me to go.

"Very funny Grayson," I climbed in and slid down the pipe.

"Shhh, only code names on the field!" I heard him say after me as he followed.

"Everyone here knows who we are anyway, there isn't really any point of us wearing these masks." I reached the end of the pipeline and climbed out to find the door my love was taken through a few feet in front of me.

"Here we go," Nightwing said as he turned the handle. The door opened silently and there was no one to be seen, nothing to be seen, it was pitch black. I turned my lenses to night vision and found that a few metres away was another door. Just as I was about to turn the handle I heard a loud, high-pitched scream from the other side. It was then followed by heavy breathing and I could faintly hear some mumbling from someone with a much lower voice, a voice I recognised all too well.

Images of what was going on behind that door raced through my mind, the thoughts led to tears forming in my eyes and without thinking I burst through to the other side. And what I saw right before my eyes was just as I feared.