She

"Huh (Walk my bare feet) huh (Walk my bare feet)

Huh (Down, down valley deep) huh (Down, down valley deep)

(I love myself) huh (Fi-fie-fo-fum) huh (fi-fie-fo-fum)

(I love myself) huh (My heart undone) one, two, three "

Having been enrolled at Duke for a few months and adjusting to his newly acquitted life fairly well Derryck Thornton found himself locking up his dorm and headed towards the pavement for a walk around campus. Wondering what he could get into Derryck started on his way following the distant yet rhythmic sound of Kendrick Lamar that led him to the track. As he gained within hearing distance he was met with a young woman around his age dancing around with a few other girls around her. That wasn't what caught his attention it was all of her hair that was piled onto of her head, the way her smile stretched on her face as one of the other girls spun her around to the beat of Kendrick Lamar,and the way the sun reflected off of her skin. Soon Derryck found himself smiling and rocking to the beat as he watched the young girl dance around more.

"Don't hurt yourself over there Derryck watching her like she's a piece of meat." A voice spoke breaking him out of his trance

"Excuse me?"

"I said don't hurt yourself over there Derryck by watching her like she's a piece of meat."

Quickly shaking his head Derryck turned to the person who had "I wasn't watching her like a piece of meat. I was going for a walk originally and I heard the music and decided to follow it and that's how I ended up here. And I just happen to notice her dancing about"

"Hi, I'm her roommate Lexia. Why don't you go talk to her, she's really nice."

Shaking his head Derryck turned to the older woman"I can't just go up there and talk to her.I mean she's probably got a boyfriend and the last thing she needs is for me to be trying to talk to her. How do I capture the attention of someone here essence?."He paused for a moment to look up at the young woman "I mean, look at her she's a black goddess and I'm just me compare to her. Trust me when I say I'm a very confident man, but she just snatched all the confidence out of me."

The young woman just shook her head at the man, seeing him get flustered over her roommate was hilarious. She had seen many try and none had succeeded. She'd pulled the same go say something card with them all and they all took the wrong approach about it. Not giving the woman time to introduce herself before asking for her number. But she had faith in Derryck

"She's single. Probably the purest thing out here in Duke. But don't take her innocence as a way of her being naive. If there's one thing I know about Paige is that she would have played your game and hers all in the first five minutes of you two meeting. All I'm gonna tell you is pace yourself."

'Pace myself' Derryck thought

"What does that mean?"

"Don't tell me you're one of those boys who are nice looking but dumb? What I mean is you introduce yourself. But you observe her from a distance. Come by every now and then to watch her dance or just 'catch' her casually jogging. Don't offer everything all at once. That's all I got for you."Lexia said as she turned on his heels walking back to her original spot.

Nodding his head Derryck focussed his attention back to the group in front of him as they now danced around to 'King Kunta'. He didn't know how he was gonna do this, but he knew he was gonna do it. This girl had captured his attention and he was going to do everything in his power for her to notice him. Unaware of the song being over and everyone dispersing all around Derryck just stood there staring off into space.

"I thought I told you to stop staring. You'll never get any attention by acting like a creep.Man up and go say something to her."

"Where does she keep coming from? You'd think she hid in every crevice with the way she pops up." Derryck mumbled as he walked up behind her

"Excuse me, Miss."The basketball player heard himself ask. "If it isn't too much for me to ask, may I know your name."

Paige knew exactly what was about to happen. He thought he was gonna get her number and that she was gonna fall at his feet. She'd seen it many times and Lexia had warned her ahead of time.

Smiling brightly "I AM Paige. And you are?"

"Derryck Thornton."

"Don't you play for our basketball team?" She questioned

"I do.Do you watch us play at all?"

"No, I don't. I'm more focussed on Track and Field seeing as that's my type of athletics right there. Sorry to break your heart."

"We have a track and field team?"Derryck asked, confused as to when this happened

Sighing Paige threw her head back before looking at Derryck once more "Are you serious? How do you go to a school and not know what sports they have? Are you that dense?"

He honestly didn't know what else to say to the woman and he settled for staring at her because that's all his mind could register.

"Well, it was nice to meet you Derryck my Black African brother. But I'm afraid it's time for me to be on my way."

"Well, it would be my honor if you'd allow me the pleasure of having your number. I know it may seem as if I'm being straight forward, but I can't help but to let your beauty be noticed." Tossing in a quick smile hoping to sway her answer

"Derryck why are you so interested in me? I mean you're a basketball player I'm sure there's plenty of girls out here that have caught your eye."Paige spoke looking him directly in the eye.

Paige knew that the moment she looked him in the eye that he'd won her over. But she of course couldn't let her guard down in anyway shape,form or fashion.

"You're different. You have this aura about you that captivates people's attention and you demand happiness to be all around you. I mean, that's what I got from seeing you and your friends interact with each other. "

"You are well aware that I'm a senior right. Which means that I'm putting a lot on the line for you. I'm a very private person and I need for you to know that If I give you my number that you're holding me to a lot of public humiliation if this doesn't work out. And I'm not one that into playing games with anything that's potential. Do you understand me?"

Nodding his head Derryck quickly handed her his phone "I'll make sure I take all of that into consideration."

"Oh, you will.Trust me, I'm not a female you want to lose."

And with that she walked away, leaving Derryck with a smile on his face and his heart on a search to know more about the young woman.