Nerves

RandomxFandom here's your preference I hope you enjoy.
_________________________

Quickly making her way out of the locker room that held the Duke Blue Devils women basketball team Ryleigh tried to make it to her dorm so she could finish her assignment that was due in about 4 hours. She knew she could’ve gone out to celebrate with her teammates for shooting the game winning shot, but you know what they say there/s more important things in life beside basketball.  

As she walked down the hallway, her mind began to wander to many different things the most prominent one as of now being Grayson Allen. The Sophomore had caught her eye as soon as she stepped foot on campus. How she went about approaching him was unknown to her and she didn’t feel like dealing with the results of him not liking her.So for now her feelings would stay a secret.

‘I wonder if me and him would take cute selfies?

‘Of course we would, I’m cute and he’s fine, that’s a perfect mixture.’

Ryleigh’s thoughts were interrupted by someone tapping on her shoulder. Snatching out her earphones she turned to see an out of breathe Grayson Allen smiling at her. 

“Hey Ryleigh I didn’t mean to scare you or anything. I just wanted to say that you played a good game and congrats on winning that was an absolute tough game.”

“Thank you, but I can not take all of the credit for the game, it was a team effort.” Ryleigh stated with a smile

“But I mean that buzzer beater was absolutely insane like I couldn’t believe that it came from such a small person.”

“Don’t doubt my height, it’s a very usable tool in a lot of our wins. But thanks for the semi-compliment.”

Rubbing the back of his neck Grayson started to spit out an apology “I didn’t mean to offend you in anyway I was just saying that the shot….. It was a big shot that’s what I’m trying say.”

“It’s fine, I didn’t mean to make you nervous. It’s a defense mechanism that I have as a point guard. A lot of people discredit me when it comes to certain things that I do. So I always jump to conclusions.” 

“No.I completely understand where you’re coming from it happens to the best of us. But yeah….”  

As Grayson began to ramble on Ryleigh sat there with a smile plastered on her face at the fact that her crush was sitting here talking to her as if this was a normal everyday thing. Although she was dying on the inside she couldn’t help but feel awkward in a way. She felt like he wanted to say more, but he was limiting himself to only talking about basketball. 

“As much as I would love to sit here and talk with you Grayson I’m afraid I have to go. I have an assignment due in less than 4 hours. It was lovely conversing with you. I hope we can do it again. See you later.”Ryleigh said, sticking her earphones back into her ears

Grayson watched the young woman walk away as he mentally scolded himself. He didn’t understand why it was so hard for him to talk to the woman when he could usually talk to any female if he felt like it. He had literally embarrassed himself. He knew he had made the young woman feel awkward after he had basically insulted her. He just didn’t know she would have this much of an impact on him. So Grayson found himself running behind the woman once again. He knew he had to peak her interest enough for her to stay with him for a few more minutes.

“Ryleigh! Wait look I had a reason for coming to talk to you I just got nervous and I started rambling on about the game because that’s what was safe. I promise I had more to say to you. I had everything planned out on what I was gonna say I just happened not to get them to come out.”

“Why are you nervous to talk to me Grayson? I’m not some celebrity I’m literally a student just like you.” Ryleigh laughed looking up at the older man.

“Ryleigh it’s not as easy as you think to talk to someone who you have feelings for. I mean I’m putting myself out there on the line by saying that to you. But I really did have a purpose for coming to talk to you.”

Smiling Ryleigh dropped her bag to the ground before taking a seat on the floor. “Come on. Sit down. Now you listen to me and you listen good. We’re gonna sit here till your nerves get better and you can hold a decent conversation with me. Until then I’ll speak.” She said pausing to look at him before continuing “Well, Grayson to counteract off of what you said earlier. You don’t need or have to be nervous when talking to me. If anything I should be nervous talking to you. I think you’re attractive and all. But you’ve really got to work on your communication skills. You can’t be trying to talk to a girl and all you got to talk about is her basketball game. If you got something spontaneous to say then say it. You can get three responses a no, a hell no and a yes. But you have to try”

“I’m not as bold as you think I am. I’m literally only like that when I’m on the court. I really wanted to ask you something, but at this rate, I think I’ll wait it out.”

“Grayson. You’ve literally chased me down not once, but twice. You’ve been giving me compliments even though some of them weren’t as nice as they could’ve sounded. What’s stopping you now? Nothing but yourself. You’re afraid of my answer when you don’t know what it’s gonna be because I can make my own decisions. Now ask me what you’re gonna ask me.”

Sighing Grayson closed his eyes before spitting his question out “Will you go on a date with me?”

“Yes. I would absolutely love that.”

“Seriously!!”

“Very much so. Just let me know when and what time.” Ryleigh spoke standing to her full height.

“Tomorrow at 9?”

“Perfect. Until then work on your confidence and calming your nerves.” She said walking away, leaving a smile on her face.