CHAPTER 1

[HER POV]

I'm calm.

"Chloe?"

I'm composed.

"CHLOE?"

I'm alright.

"CHLOE!!!"

"I'm calm......I'm composed......I'm alright," I recite to myself under my breath over and over again.

"CHLOE SUMMERS!!" a guy that reeks of alcohol and cigarettes shouted on the top of his lungs. Calling out for me, he stormed into my room with such force that the wooden door is being threatened to fall off of its hinges, again. For the 20th time.

I immediately got off of my creaky bed and went to the wooden floor. Kneeling down on both of my knees, I bowed my head, unable to look in his eyes. Because, that's the way it was.

"I'm calm....I'm composed...I'm alright," I mutter yet again, under my breath.

"What the fuck did you just say?!" the guy spat in my face as he yanked my face to look into his.

"Nothing, father," I answered, monotone, remaining indifferent to his ways. I've gotten used to it.

"Good. Now are you prepared?" he hissed as he pushed me back so I fall onto the floor. Wincing at the fresh cuts that are appearing yet again on my elbows, I propped myself back up to the position.

I merely nodded in response to his question.

"Now, don't we want a smart girl in this house, eh?" he began to tease as he tucked my long black hair behind my ears. He bent down low enough for us to be of the same eye level. "Tell me, princess....what did you learn in school today?"

I gulped and took a deep breath. Closing my eyes, the information that I learnt today flashes through my mind. I began to recite anything and everything I learnt in school. From music, sports, english to chemistry.

Every night of my life it always ends like this. My father, being drunk, comes home to teach me a lesson. Calling me to recite everything that I learned that day. If there was any doubt or uncertainty in my voice, he will be sure to catch it. Any pause in my words and then...

"...and the Krebs Cycle involve Succinate converts to Fumarate with the help of the enzyme...." I paused, shit.

"Our princess, hasn't been studying well, has she?" he drawled as he began to take his belt off. Looping the belt around his right hand, he swung it in the air to create a 'whipping' sound.

"What did I say about studying?" his voice dropped as he raises his belt high up in the air.

***

My father has passed out. Lying on my bed, he snores deeply into his sleep. 

"I guess, it's the couch for me again, tonight." I thought to myself before I slowly crept out of my room into the hallway. 

I hurriedly tiptoed down the hallway and out into our front lawn. Taking in deep breaths, I appreciate the minute calmness and serenity the view brings. Sitting on the dew-covered grass, I examined the condition of my body.

There were several red marks and bruises on my upper arms and abdomen. "I should wear long sleeves to school tomorrow," I mutter to myself. Lying with my back on the grass, I gaze up into the night sky... "The stars shine so brightly, they look so free and happy," I thought to myself and I managed, to smile.