Chapter 2 Top Priority

Chapter 2: Top Priority

Emery's POV

"Are you ready?" 

I hold my bag for dear life, I should've never let him go.

I nod, not trusting myself to speak without sobbing.

The lady pulls back the sheet just enough to let me see his face, she doesn't reveal any further. She looks at me with sad eyes while I clench mine and turn around finally allowing a sob to escape.

I nod vigorously as I leave the room. The two cops, who were also in the morgue, follow me out.

I just confirmed my dead brother's body.

I turn around suddenly almost bumping into the one as tall as me. "What happened?" I question knowing exactly what happened, but not why. I guess that's what I should be asking.

His beard moves along with his mouth as he pulls out his notepad, "It appears he was shot ma'am." He clicks his pen as he writes something down. The officer behind him rolls his eyes as he explains further.

"He was in a really bad part of town, we don't know exactly what he was doing but he had a gun on him," he pauses. "Blackdale is littered with gangs, it is possible he got mixed up with the wrong people." 

I shake my head, "He doesn't own a gun." 

The short one with the notepad holds up his finger. "Actually, it was registered in his name now that you've confirmed his identity."

"This doesn't make any sense, we don't even live in Blackdale. He would never do anything that you're implying. He wasn't mixed up with any gangs," I exclaimed ignoring the fact of the nights he's disappeared. I wipe the sweat coming down my forehead coming to the realization that he very well could've been mixed up with gangs. 

"Has your brother been distant? Constantly seems on edge?" The taller one asks. I bite my finger nails, thinking. Of course, that's all he's been lately. But I wasn't about to tell him that; it would further confirm his suspicion of gang relation. I wouldn't accept that.

I shake my head.

"All right then, if that's it," the shorter one huffs and begins to turn away.

"Wait, that's it. You're not investigating this?" I ask, incredulous. What the hell. My brother was just shot in cold bold and they could care less?

"Ma'am this is under investigation but at this time there is nothing we could further investigate. We have other priorities," the shorter one announces.

I scoff, "This is murder, that's a top priority."

The one with the beard apologizes as they leave, being dispatched to some obscure location.

I rub my face, this is unbelievable. No one is going to do anything about this. What the hell is wrong with this town? Do they have no morals? No justice? 

I have to do something.

_____________________________________________

I've torn the apartment apart.

Nothing. 

God, Jonah, what were you involved in? Why couldn't you just tell me or ask for help?

I did manage to find the case where the gun was held, confirming what the officers said. But nothing else. Why would Jonah need a gun? I throw the case in frustration.

I pull out my phone and dial Lora, my manager from the floral shop.

She answers in just one ring. "I'm sorry, Lora I just can't come in today, I'm spiraling," I say as I toss random stuff off to the side.

"Oh honey, does that mean..?"

I stop suddenly and take a deep breathe. I nod again for the hundredth time today, I open my eyes and answer. "Yes, it was him, it was Jonah," I acknowledge the words out loud, more to myself than to her. I hear her breath halt as she remains silent. She was there when the officers came into the shop, notifying me of what happened.

"They're saying because it's not a top priority to find out who shot my brother, they're putting the investigation on hold." I leave the gang suspicion out.

"I'm so sorry about Jonah, I know how close you guys were after your parents passed," she says finally pulling herself together. "This is just ridiculous, what kind of station do these people run?" She builds up her anger and I can just imagine her throwing her hands up in the air. A gesture she makes when she's frustrated.

"The kind that doesn't give a shit." My blood is boiling. 

"What're you gonna do now?" She genuinely asks. "I don't want you to go through this alone." She adds. "I'll be fine," I assure her not really knowing that to be true. "I'm going back there to figure out what happened, someone has to know something."

"Be careful, you keep me informed, you hear?" 

"I hear," I hang up the phone as a I pack a bag to make another trip to Blackdale.

This is crazy. I try to wipe my tears so I can see what I'm packing, but it's no use. I pack blindly as I try the breathing exercises I learned in therapy.

It helped a little. I walk over next to couch as I rip a photo of Jonah and I out from the frame. I fold it as I tuck it into my back pocket.

It's time to put all my investigating skills from watching never ending crime shows to use. I really hope I know what I'm doing, I can't get myself caught up in what Jonah was caught up in. I have to be careful.

But won't all my questioning in a gang ridden town get me caught up anyway?

"Fuck."

Thank you guys so much for reading! 

💕Izzy💕