Chapter 3 : Mr. Apologetic

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

A rough twenty minutes after Braden left, there's a knock on my door. I double check the clock to be sure I still have time, because Braden said an hour and a half, but I still fear that he might change his mind and he's here again.

I go open the door, holding my breath, but it's not Braden.

''Miss Warren?'' There's a sophisticated young woman there with a big box in her hands.

I furrow my eyebrows. ''Yeah, that's me,'' I say carefully.

''I have a package for you. Sign here,'' she says with a bored voice that shows this is her job and it's her mantra.

Do I sound like that when I'm asking people for their orders at the bar? I shudder. I hope not.

I sign my name on the paper and she hands me the big box then leaves straight away, not even saying a goodbye.

I sigh and close the door, taking the box inside. There's a bow on it and a small piece of paper with my name on it.

I place the box on my bed in my room and open it, removing the papers aside and gasp at what reveals to my eyes.

It's a black dress, a very short one with lacy short sleeves and a white bow in the middle. There in the box are also high heels laying to match the dress. They're sparkly black. I also find a note and see it's handwritten. I open it with shaky hands.

Rory,

when I saw this dress, my first thought was: I want to see you in it.

Please, make my wish come true and wear it for me tonight. It'd make me a very happy man.

- B. C. x

I sit down on the floor with his note in my hand, my eyes getting damp. This impossible, infuriating man. He keeps surprising me.

My tears fall down my face because I hate and love him more than I ever think I could both hate and love at the same time any other person in this world.

***

Exactly on time, there's a knock at my door. My heart skips a beat as I take one last look at myself, take one more deep breath and go open the door. It's not Braden standing there, it's his driver.

''Miss Warren, good evening. Are you ready to go?''

I grab the coat from the hanger and my purse. ''Good evening. Sure, let's go.''

As we walk down to the car and Braden's driver opens the door for me, I hold my breath thinking that maybe Braden is waiting in the car, but I'm hit with disappointment again when I notice the car is empty.

I go inside and the door closes. The driver goes around, sits inside, and start the car.

I sigh and close my eyes as I watch the night city through the window. I'm already falling for his tricks. The history is repeating, but I'm like a moth that can't stay away from the fire.

But how can you stay away from the person that you're aching to be with?

I need to hear what Braden has to say to me and maybe then I'll say goodbye to him easier. Or that's just my wishful thinking ...

When we drive for quite some time, I decide to pick the conversation with his driver so I stop nervously tugging at my dress and twirling my fingers around. I lean forward in my seat. ''Can I ask what's your name?''