Chapter 9 : Mr. Assorted

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

Warm lips wake me up. I don't open my eyes, only wrap my hands around Braden's neck and kiss him back, still half sleeping.

''Something came up. I have to go,'' Braden says softly, placing one last kiss on my lips before retreating back.

''What?'' I murmur, on the verge of falling back asleep again.

''I have to go solve something. Go back to sleep.''

I lazily open my eyes and notice with a distaste that it's still very dark and that I'm still too tired. ''What time is it?'' I ask with a groggy voice, barely a whisper.

Braden chuckles quietly. ''It's very early. I'll see you in a few days,'' he adds and I feel him place a kiss on the top of my head.

I nuzzle into my pillow a bit more and wrap a sheet around me a little tighter. ''Mm, okay,'' I murmur and close my eyes back.

I hear Braden chuckle again before I fall back asleep so fast, I don't even hear the door closing behind him as he walks out.

But not that long after, I think my body senses the loss of him because I wake up with a scream, my whole face drenched in sweat, my hand reaching to the other side of the bed for Braden, only to find it empty and cold.

It's still not morning yet and my body is too tired to function properly, but I have a feeling that no matter what, I won't be able to fall back asleep. The nightmares came back again and I don't know if it's because Braden left or it's because the nightmares never really went away.

I go to the bathroom, not even bothering with the light. I rinse my face with a cold water and wipe it with my towel.

After that, I just go back to bed in hopes to fall back asleep and not relive the painful nightmare I just had.

It's similar to all the other ones I've had over the weeks. Braden is in all of them and sometimes it almost starts at a sweet dream, but it always ends the same way – me running to him, but I can never reach him. And he just stands in the same place and watches me as I struggle to get to him.

I wonder if it's my body subconsciously telling me something. Or if it's some kind of a warning.

Or I'm just overreacting and it's a coincidence. After all, a lot of people have nightmares, especially if something bad happens to them.

I literally force my mind to think of something else, something sweet, and I soon think of Braden, which helps me fall back asleep in minutes.

But I guess fate doesn't let me sleep today for some reason because I wake up feeling so sick, I barely come to the toilet before I throw up.

Hello, morning sickness. Here we are again, I think bitterly, as I lay my head on the cold toilet seat, resting there for a moment.

I can't say I'm well-rested, because I'm obviously not, after a night like this, but I think I'm good enough to still go to work.

At least it's already a sunrise outside, letting me know the morning has arrived.

I sigh and push myself up on the legs. I almost scream as I see myself in the mirror. Jesus. I'll need a lot of make-up today to get my face presentable.

I check the time on my phone and see it's just something after half past 7, notifying me that I have some time to get ready. I see I have a text from Braden and my mood instantly lifts up.

Good morning, precious. How are you feeling? x

I grin like stupid down at the phone, hugging it to my chest for a moment, as if he's the one I'm hugging.