Chapter 18 : Mr. Disturbed

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

Braden woke me up with kisses early in the morning and then we made love – slowly, lazily and sensually. He insisted on taking me to work so we're currently still in bed, cuddling. He sits with his back to the headboard and I have my head on his lap while he plays with my hair.

''How so you didn't go to work early like you usually do?'' I ask him, gazing up at his eyes.

Braden shrugs, his fingers lazily brushing over the strands of my hair. I know he'll make them a mess, but I don't have the heart to tell him to stop. Besides, it feels good. Who cares how I'll look like after?

''A part of being your own boss is deciding when you'll go to work and when you'll come back.''

I lift my eyebrow at him. ''And you usually decide to go to work before 6 and coming back in the evening?'' I sass.

Braden's fingers stop brushing my hair and he looks at me, amused. ''Rory, baby, the work isn't done by itself. Especially when you run so many companies, hotels, restaurants and casinos.''

''Well, why do you have to own that much, then? It's not like you need any more money than you already have,'' I say with a voice that shows I clearly don't understand the conception of this.

Braden's silent for a moment and I see there's a small frown marking his face. He's thinking about my question. I roll my lips in my mouth and wait for his answer.

''I guess I like the power it gives me,'' he says after a few heartbeats of intense silence. ''I love winning, and being in this business means you win or lose a lot, depends on how well you do. And I can tell you I do very well in this business and I like what I'm doing. So for now, I don't see myself giving that up,'' he explains.

I listen to him greedily and when I sense this situation is getting too serious, I grin at him. ''Or in other words, you just really like bossing people around.''

Braden chuckles and he tugs at my hair lightly, not enough to make it hurt. ''Smart ass,'' he mouths at me.

I giggle in response.

''We should get up. We have to go soon.'' I pout at that, but before Braden could make any suggestion of staying here all day (which I'd probably totally take him up for), I stand up, bringing him up with me and we both go get ready.

Half an hour later, Braden's tying his tie and I'm watching him from the bathroom doorway, leaning on the door frame with my arms crossed in front of me, thinking how fine he looks. And without any great effort, which it makes me somehow mad, because why the hell do women have to spend so much time at making themselves presentable, while men look good without having to do anything? Where's the justice in that?

When he's done, he turns and catches me staring. He gives me a breathtaking smile across the room and my stomach does a somersault, my breath stuck in my throat. Jesus Christ.

Braden thrusts his hand in his hair, brushing it up and giving it a nice, messy look that looks sexy to hell. But a frown falls on his face when he looks on the nightstand and then around the room. He tries his pockets, but his frown doesn't disappear.

''Are you looking for something?'' I ask him, still not moving away from my position.

He opens the nightstand drawer. ''Yes, have you seen my –'' he trails off and falls silent, his body tensing up.

When he straightens up and turns around I see he's holding something in his hand. My eyes focus on it and I stand up straighter, my arms falling down.