Chapter 25 : Mr. Determined

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

I don't know for how long I sit on the window ledge and emotionlessly stare out of the window. Hours, maybe. My body is numb and I can't feel anything, not physically, not emotionally. I just shut it all out, because it's easier like that. If you don't think about it, it doesn't hurt. Right?

It's really late, or early, however you put it when I hear Braden coming back. He tries to be quiet, but I hear every move he makes, taking steps closer to me until he pauses just in front of the bedroom door.

I turn my head to the door and hear when the door opens. His silhouette shows up next, coming quietly and slowly into the room, softly closing the door behind him. He pauses by the bed. I don't think he noticed me, I think he has his head turned to the bed, but I can't see his face to be sure.

I stare at him without saying anything, without feeling anything other than a betrayal of his lies.

I know the exact moment he notices me. His hand is untying his tie, but when he turns his gaze to the window, he stops and freezes.

''Rory,'' he breathes. ''You're up?'' he asks softly, quietly.

I don't answer him. I don't even move. I just continue to look at his silhouette in the dark. When he comes closer, I can see a bit of his face, thankful to the moon shining through the window. He looks too good to be true. Like a Viking in the night.

He stares at me intently, studying me. He touches my leg. ''Why are you still up, baby? Were you waiting for me?''

I move my leg away from his touch and I see confusion cross his face.

''Did you have fun tonight?'' These are the only words that come from me. I make sure my tone gives nothing away and that my expression stays vain of emotions.

''Rory ... I—''

''If you're going to feed me more lies, please shut up now. I don't know how stupid do you think I am, but I'll tell you that I'm not stupid enough for you to lie to me. Ever again.''

Braden looks completely shocked. He sits down on the ledge by my feet and I pull my legs to me, so not even one inch of my body comes in touch with him. His mouth forms a straight line, his hands going through his hair, making his clothes rustle with the movement. ''I'm sorry.''

Those two simple words. They were enough all the previous times he fucked up and apologised and I forgave him, but it's not that simple now. I might be carrying his child and have to think about him, too, but that doesn't mean he can manipulate with me.

''You know what?'' I put my feet on the floor. ''I'm sleeping on the couch tonight.''

Braden sharply inhales. ''No. No way. Please, let's talk now and I'll tell you everything.'' His voice is almost pleading, but it doesn't have the same effect on me as it would have any other time. I literally don't feel anything right now, like my soul just died inside of me.

''I don't think I'm ready to hear more lies. I really do hope you had a great night with your ex. I hope it was worth it.'' My tone is bitchy and bitter. The sarcasm is also strongly presented, just to mask the hurt that's probably buried somewhere deep inside of me. I don't let myself feel it. I'm not going to be weak and break down and forgive him that easily. He has to know he did something wrong.

''God, Rory, stop doing this. You're shutting me out. It's not what it looks like, baby.'' Braden drops down on the knees on the floor, putting his hands on my thighs.

I inhale sharply as the electricity from his touch shocks my body. ''If you don't let me go sleep on the couch, I'll pack my things right now and go back home,'' I threaten. I'm willing to do it. In fact, I was thinking about it before he even came back and now I'm thinking if it would be the right thing to do.