Chapter 10 : Mr. Afraid

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

I'm released from the hospital in the early morning on Friday after some tests were done and the doctor said I'm fine to go. He strictly said that I should take a week off work and just rest and take it easy.

And all I could think was; how fucking great to miss even more of work. In a sarcastic way, of course.

A police officer came to the hospital and questioned me about the attack. I've been informed that if something like that happens, it's the hospital's duty to inform the police immediately.

I didn't hide anything and told the police officer everything – even about the money he stole from me and all the times he was treating me violently during our relationship.

He started questioning me about Braden right after but I sent him a glare and said in the most serious way I could, ''Braden Campbell treats me like I'm the queen and he's the one who opened my eyes how wrong I've been treated before. Trust me, he'd never hurt me.'' At least not physically. But of course I don't say that out loud, because I'm not stupid. I'm not the one to spill my troubles out to everyone who's willing to listen, even less to a police officer.

He left after that and informed me they were going to look in this case. I thanked him sincerely. I don't want that rat to be walking freely anymore.

Everyone went home after some tears, some worried words, followed by words of reassurance and declared love. They all calmed down once the tests were okay and the doctor said my brain isn't damaged in any way.

The only one who stayed with me was Braden, no matter how persistent I was that he goes home ahead and rests some, because he's just barely standing on his feet. He seems at least five years older than he really is and I don't like looking at him like this.

But, of course, that stubborn, impossible man insisted that he stays and told me to stop sending him away because he's not leaving me.

I gave up with a huff and just appreciated that he was there with me when I most needed him, being by my side, no matter how tired he was.

I asked him how could he come back so fast from his trip to Norway and he said that he flew back with his private jet as soon as his driver informed him what happened.

He didn't sleep much the previous night, I know that. Only a few hours. And then he travelled a lot today, yet he's here with me, still looking at me as brightly as he can. As if I'm the sun on his sky.

He drives me back to my flat and I invite him in.

He looks at me as if I said something absurd. ''An army wouldn't hold me away from you,'' is all he says before he exits the car as I wait for him to come around, watching him like a hawk and willing my poor heart to calm down before I get a heart attack.

He opens the door for me and steps aside to give me space to step out. He gives me his hand and I take it, stepping out of the car and he closes the door behind me.

He goes around the car to the trunk, opens it up and takes out his suitcase. And then we go up, with him holding my hand, with the other rolling his suitcase.

And I swear nothing could keep that smile away from my face right now, no matter how in pain I am.

When we step into the flat, I realize how calm I become. There's been a constant tension and fear in me since I walked out of the hospital. I know I'm safe with Braden and he'd rather die himself than let anything happen to me, but a brain is a really funny thing (especially mine) at how it works. Over thinking and all that stuff, making me panic when I shouldn't.