Chapter 28 : Mr. Mine

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

After Braden and I ate dinner, we went in the bed and made sweet love again. Then we just talked to each other and cuddled, spending some quality time together. It was nice.

We went to sleep late, really late after having a bath together. But now, for some reason, I lay awake in the middle of the night in a bed, that's surprisingly cold and empty, no traces of Braden lying there before.

I sit up in bed and listen if I'll maybe be able to hear him somewhere, but everything's quiet and dark. I get out of the bed, not even caring that I'm butt naked, and pad around the bedroom, softly opening the door. I listen if I might hear something – anything that would tell me that someone might be in the suite, but it's dead silent.

I go down the stairs and walk to the kitchen, just to find it empty. I look into the living room, which is empty, too. But then I can see that the door to Braden's study is slightly ajar. I push the door away and stick my head inside. My gaze falls on the empty desk, but then I lift my head to look at the figure standing by the windows, unmoving.

My heart involuntary grips in fear until I feel it's only Braden. I move in quietly and see his naked back is turned to me. He's staring out of the window, lifting his hand to his mouth and I hear him swallow. Is he drinking something?

I lean with my hands on the back of the chair. ''Can't sleep?'' I murmur softly.

Braden's not as surprised for me to be here as I supposed he would be. His head only turns on the side and tilts down, not turning around. When his left hand drops down against his body, I see him holding a glass with not much in there.

''No. I've had this problem for a few days now,'' he answers me quietly, his voice monotone and small.

I purse my lips at his answer. ''Is something bothering you?'' I can't help but ask, worrying my bottom lip with my teeth, nibbling it.

Braden sighs and turns his head back, looking through the window again. He takes a slow, torturous sip of the drink, making me even more nervous of what's going on with him. When he finally does speak, I wish he didn't, ''Victoria made a proposition to me when I had dinner with her. A proposition is a mild word, it was more like condition. She said if I ever want to see the child, if I ever want to be in a contact with him, she wants us to marry.''

Thank God I'm leaning on the chair, because my legs tremble and a loud, sharp gasp breaks through my mouth. ''She did what!'' I shriek out in pure disbelief. Holy God ... this is not happening. I grip the back of the chair tighter as Braden says nothing and just continues staring out of the window. ''And what was your answer?'' I ask, now in much more controlled tone.

Braden turns around. I feel him stare at me, although I can only see his silhouette in the darkness. ''What do you think, Rory? That I'd sue her, of course. She can't do that, anyway. I have a right to see a child if it's mine. And the constant worrying if he is mine or not is killing me slowly,'' he admits, rubbing his forehead.

He shouldn't be stressing himself out so much. No wonder he got sick when he has so much to deal with emotionally at the moment. If I didn't know better, I'd think that Victoria planned that all out to the point, but I don't have any high hopes that she's smart like that. She might act like it, but I can see past her little act.

I slowly pad to him, not sure if he's happy about my presence or not. I lean on the edge of the table, still stark naked. And Braden notices it, inhaling sharply. ''We're going to get through this, baby,'' I soothe him and try to reassure him because I don't know what else to respond.