Braden's POV: Chapter 21 : Mr. Eager (book one)

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

''Why is there still no papers I asked for? God damn, do you even do anything or I pay you for nothing?'' I shout at my assistant, who's fairly new, not that it excuses anything. When I hire someone new, I expect efficiency from them. If you don't have that, you can't work with me. Because I only work with the best.

''Mrs. Peterson is still working on them. She said she's going to mail them to you soon, sir,'' Amber, the young assistant, says uncertainly. Her posture is straight, but her body is rigid, and even though she tries to look unaffected and confident, I see her hands shaking.

I scowl at her. ''Tell her to work faster. The clock's ticking,'' I bark. ''And where the hell is my coffee?''

Amber's lips straighten. ''I'll bring it right to you, sir,'' she says obediently and continues standing there with her head lowered.

I raise my eyebrows. ''Go get my coffee, I don't have all day,'' I order her, sighing deeply.

''Yes, sir.'' Amber hurries out of my office, almost running out of it as if her feet were on fire.

I rub my temples, the first traces of headache showing. That's the cause of barely sleeping these past days and then working too much.

I go back to work, clicking through the important e-mails and reading the reports and other documents that were sent to me. But minutes later after Amber left, my door opens without the person knocking first and I look up annoyingly.

Michael, my partner and also a man who I trust the most with my business, comes in, smiling from ear to ear. He really chose the wrong day to spill grins.

''What is that I hear about, boss? The whole building starts shaking in fear at just a mention of your name. Bad week?'' Michael teases, plopping himself in the chair in front of my desk as if he would've been invited to take a seat.

''Please, sit down for a chat,'' I say dryly, pointing my palm to the seat he's currently on.

Michael puts his foot over his leg and leans back on the chair, making himself comfortable. ''Thanks, man. You're so nice.''

I roll my eyes at him and flicker my eyes back on the screen. I don't have the patience to deal with this today.

I hear Michael chuckle, but I still don't look at him. ''You seem pissed about something. Trouble with your pretty woman?''

My temper rises unbelievingly high at his words. I grip the desk, debating if I should stand up and go over to him, but I change my mind the last second. ''Keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you're talking about, Downing. It's going to get you in trouble.''

Michael doesn't seem bothered by my words – he even chuckles louder than before, clasping his hands behind his head. I want to throw him out of my office. Why the hell is he even in here?

''So it is the infamous Miss Warren, huh?'' He leans forward then, clasping his hands in front of him, putting his foot down on the floor and resting his forearms on his thighs. ''Tell me, what did you do now?''

My eyes narrow. ''Why do you think it's me who did anything?''

Michael lifts his eyebrow in an arrogant way and shakes his head. ''Come on, now. I've known you for years, Campbell. I know how you are with women. Now tell me, how did you screw it up this time?''

I smile coldly at him and it's now me who leans over the desk. ''Guess what? It's none of your business. What I do with anyone is no one's concern and I am under no obligation to explain my private life to anyone.''