Chapter 6 : Mr. Complicated

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

But I didn't sleep well. And my dreams weren't pleasant. At all. Even though I was wrapped around Braden and he held me tight to his chest.

I still wake up mid night, screaming out, catching my breath, my face wet from tears and sweat.

I panic even more when I can't sit up in bed to catch my breath because it feels like someone's holding my throat in a chock hold.

I totally forget where I am for a moment and who's with me, because all I know is I have to get out of the tight hold that I can't move my body out of and get some fresh air and maybe some water. But Braden startling up, waking with a panicked, ''Rory?'' has my heart race increasing for a moment and then slowing down slowly.

I can't tell the reality from my dreams anymore. Was that nightmare a reality? Or is this sweet dream where Braden is back with me in bed a reality?

Jesus, I'm going nuts.

I thrust my fingers into the mess of my hair and a loud sob escapes me while the tears that never stopped falling since that nightmare I had, start falling even faster, rolling down my already wet cheeks.

''Jesus, baby,'' Braden whispers, his voice all hoarse from the sleep with a hint of panic and worry in it. I feel him move and then his arms come around me, pulling me in his lap, tucking me to his bare chest and rocking me against him, murmuring, ''What is it, baby? Tell me, what's wrong?'' he asks gently and it makes me cry even harder.

''Shhh, baby girl,'' he coaxes me with his sweet words.

I cling to him wrapping my arms and legs around him, climbing on him and holding him so tight I'm sure he has trouble with breathing. But he doesn't complain. He holds me back, not as tight as I am holding him, but it's close. And I'm not complaining either, because I'm in that state of mind where I can't tell if this is real or it's a dream. And if it's a dream, I don't want to ever wake up.

I want to stay like this, in his arms, in his tight embrace, holding me, whispering calming words into my hair, calling me sweet nicknames.

''Rory, please,'' Braden begs. ''Tell me what has you worked up. Let me fix it.''

Just like that.

Let me fix it. He's the only one he can anyway. So when I take some deep calming breaths and get my sobs under control, I tell him, with my head still pressed into his neck, ''If this is all a dream and I'm going to have to wake up to the sad reality again, I don't think I'll be able to survive another day of a living nightmare.''

I feel his body tense up at my words and his breath falters. Then, as it downs to him what I said and what I mean, he says brokenly, ''Baby,'' squeezing me even tighter. ''This is as real as it can get. It's me and you, us against the world. That's the only reality that matters, Rory. We're fighting the demons together. We don't exist without each other. We're not whole,'' he says close to my ear, rubbing my back.

''I'm here with you and you're here with me and this is how it's going to stay. I don't plan on changing it and neither will I let you change it, because this between us is very real and when you wake up in the morning, it'll still all be real because an army could try to drag me away from you and they wouldn't succeed.''

His words bring new tears in my eyes, but those are for a completely different reason now. I'm crying because nobody has ever said something so sweet to me. Those are the kindest words I've heard in my entire life and they're all coming from a man who means the world to me, a man who I love deeply and a man I would gladly die for.