Chapter 12 : Mr. Volatile

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

I let myself fell asleep when the sun was already rising. To be honest, I was just too tired and I needed that rest.

So I woke up at noon and I felt well rested, along with still being shaken up from the nightmare and anxious, that now familiar fear resting deep in me, gripping my insides and literally just eating them.

I know I'm safe here and there's a really, really tiny chance of anything happening to me, but the thing is ... there is a chance of something happening to me, no matter how small. You can never be too safe because sometimes, some situations and people can be unpredictable.

For example, I don't know what's going on in Charles's head right about now. Is he planning on attacking me again? Does he know Braden's not here with me? Or is he hiding somewhere? Or maybe the police already got to him?

I don't like not knowing about things like this, but I know that right now, I can't do anything about it. Braden is coming home tomorrow and maybe that'll make me feel better – safer.

I remember that I have a lunch to make because my parents are coming over soon, so I shoot out of my bed, straight into the bathroom. I do my usual morning routine – taking a quick shower, brushing my teeth and cleaning my face. I skip the makeup today. I just don't feel like it.

I put my hair up into a tight bun on the top of my head. Deciding it's all about casual today, I just put on some leggings and a loose sweater that's a bit too big on me.

And then I go to work, putting on some music on my phone and manoeuvre my way through Braden's big, beautiful kitchen, getting my mind distracted.

***

My parents are late, but when the phone in the suite rings and I pick it up, I see part of the reason why would they be late.

''Miss Warren?'' the male voice asks politely.

''Speaking,'' I say, my heart speeding up.

''Yes, I'm calling from the reception.'' I hold my breath, waiting for his next words. ''There's someone here, claiming they're your parents. Are you expecting anyone?''

I release the breath I was holding slowly. ''Yes. Yes, just send them up.''

''Certainly, Miss,'' the man politely replies and then hangs up on me.

I think I now know the reason why Braden wanted me here in his suite. It really is secured and now thinking back down on the big, bulky security guards guarding the door ... It'd be a miracle if anyone would get over them, much or less Charles.

My dad and mum enter into the suite minutes later.

My dad whistles in the greeting, looking around. ''That man just doesn't hold anything back,'' he comments and I have to laugh.

I hug them both, and just like that, my fears and anxiety are gone. Or at least, it's postponed.

For later.

***

The lunch goes great. We talk. We laugh. We catch up. And then mum worries some about me. And later, she worries some more.

And no matter how much I reassure her, mum is just mum. And I love her to death.

We talked about Braden. They weren't really pleased that he left when I was just released from the hospital, but I told them patiently that I'm perfectly fine and that I still can move, thank you very much, but that Braden has the kind of job where he has to travel some and he has to work hard.