Orenjimokku

CHAPTER FIVE
____________
–•–

      SUMMER PASSED AND WITH THE RISE OF AUTUMN, A COOL BREEZE SWEPT THE leaves into a bed that cover Konoha in a haze of orange and red

      SUMMER PASSED AND WITH THE RISE OF AUTUMN, A COOL BREEZE SWEPT THE leaves into a bed that cover Konoha in a haze of orange and red. For the first time, Anomie was able to see the leaves of the trees begin to change their shade and fall to the ground, littering the streets in their mess. The canals were now filled with fallen leaves, swept away by the breeze.

      Rin's temperament had begun to heal as the seasons changed, and the girl even smiled more. Much hadn't changed between the two, as Anomie didn't allow it to. With money coming in from every client, Anomie kept the pay of rent and food for Rin's living expenses quite easily.

      It happened just as Anomie thought it would, and she ended up on the rise of popularity. None of the other Oiran liked her, but such was to be expected in a profession so cut-throat and competitive. Their taunts grew as nights went on, but under Minami, Anomie remained untouchable and her name was changed in that house to 'Kiyomi'.

      Being Kiyomi and Anomie at the same time became like second nature on the days where she snuck out to keep up pretext that she still lived alongside Rin. Playing as two people became like second nature from the moment she welcomed Rin home.

      The flower of protection still stood strong under Rin's care. In the beginning it hadn't meant much to Anomie and she had given it to Rin as a passing whim. Eventually she began to take comfort in it and staring at it became her only source of solace for the long nights that came while Rin was away on mission.

      By the end of fall, her first client had taken Anomie's body for his own. He had proved his wealth, and had once been a regular with Minami until Anomie had stolen him away. Minami hadn't been happy at losing a client, but made no complaint as Anomie's popularity increased.

      None of the girls liked giving their bodies, but Anomie's experience hadn't been so bad and she did her duty.

      The older man wasn't so kind, and his hands left bruises on her skin.

      The one on her neck looked the most apparent, but makeup covered it easily. Despite her flesh being scarred and stripped empty, her pockets were full so what right had she to be dissatisfied.

      "The missions have been piling on lately," Rin complained, leaning her head against Anomie's shoulder as they walked through the village. "I'm so tired."

      "Once I'm Chūnin, I'll make these mission go by fast," Obito said, happily grinning as he walked on Rin's other side.

      "If you become Chūnin," came Kakashi's lazy comment from Anomie's right, and Obito's expression twisted into a scowl.

      "I will! This year's Chūnin exams will be a breeze! I'm going to be the Hokage someday! You'll see, you bastard!" Obito snapped, and Rin giggled.