Higanbana

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
____________
–•–

       WHEN KAKASHI FIRST TOLD HER THAT HE LOVED HER, THAT DAY SO MANY YEARS ago, Anomie had simply not believed him

       WHEN KAKASHI FIRST TOLD HER THAT HE LOVED HER, THAT DAY SO MANY YEARS ago, Anomie had simply not believed him. She didn't believe in love as vibrantly as she didn't believe in ghosts or dragons. Love had always been a fairy tale that little girls dreamt up when they were bored. If it did exist, Anomie always figured that with her luck, it would attach itself onto everyone else and get her killed. So, when she realized that she might love him back, she had wanted to throw up. 

      Why did it have to be him? There was no point in thinking such thoughts, but Anomie did anyway. She could never help it. She was backed into a corner, chased by the very name 'Akatsuki'. Orochimaru wanted her head, Konoha wanted her her head, and soon enough, the Akatsuki would as well.

      She was often stuck in place, waiting for the ultimate end that she no doubt deserved, but she'd always narrowly escape. The curse mark spread over her skin, and along with it came a bloodlust she tried to quench when she met Kakashi's gaze. She just needed to fight them off long enough to escape. Perhaps if she did well enough, they could take Kisame's life in her departure.

      That would make it a win win. After all, judging by the way Itachi avoided using deadly Jutsu, it wasn't her life that he was after. She ducked underneath Kisame's clumsy swing of his blade, letting out a gasp as his weapon narrowly missed her neck.

      "Oops," Kisame said with a sharp grin that made her blood boil in her veins as her curse mark spread further along her neck until she was covered in undeniable power that threatened to consume the last bit of light that rested on her black heart.

      "Your teamwork is trash," Kakashi said as Anomie shoved Kisame into Gai, but it didn't have much affect as Kisame quickly regained his footing.

      Her gaze snapped towards him and it felt as if a demon was unleashed in her chest. "I hardly think the judgment should come from a man who let his own friends parish because of his own arrogance."

      She hadn't meant to say that, but she was losing control and soon enough she would no longer be the woman she was before. She still had the sealing scroll resting in one of the tattoo seals below her breasts. She had been trying to deliver it to Konoha for nearly a month now, in order to inform them of the Akatsuki's plans on capturing tailed beasts, but with Kisame's watchful eye, such a thing had become nearly impossible. But with Kisame's attention drawn by Gai, she just might get that chance.

      She just had to be quick and flashy with misdirection.

      That must be why Itachi was on this mission in the first place. Konoha was quite impatient with her, but Anomie couldn't say she didn't understand why. She just wished they would understand that she walked on a thin line, and one wrong step would make her fall into the depths of nothingness with nothing else to do but continue to fall.