Himawari

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
____________
–•–

      THE WHITE NOISE OF THE BIRDS BROKE HIM FROM THE DAZE OF SLEEP

THE WHITE NOISE OF THE BIRDS BROKE HIM FROM THE DAZE OF SLEEP. It was a peaceful awakening, as he slowly remembered the way her hair managed to stay so perfect, even after he fisted his fingers through it every time they kissed. It filled him with her breath, and when he rolled to the side, he saw the bed was empty, except for the letter on her pillow. He immediately recognized her neat calligraphy, and the letter had a distinct aroma of her plum and amber perfume.

That same scent lingered on the pillow as if she had only just sprayed it as a cruel reminder of her absence.

      Stay safe the letter read.

It felt like a passive-aggressive copy of the letter he left her back in the forest, so many months ago. He knew her enough to realize she was bitter, even if she never said it out loud. While he had wanted to stay with her back then, fuck he wouldn't mind staying with her forever, he knew that it would break him to say goodbye to her, say see you later, whilst knowing that could have been the last time they ever saw each other. 

Despite the obvious longing to see her, he chuckled at the pettiness of it all before he neatly folded it and placed it on his nightstand as if it were as precious as she was to him. No matter how many steps they took to get closer to one another, she would tear herself away and say she did it for him. 

He escaped the bedroom, walking out to see Anomie, sitting at the marble counter divider that separated the kitchen from the living room. In her hand was a book from his shelf that he recognized as one of his many erotic novels. Next to her, the counter was filled with food, ranging from steamed rice, miso soup, grilled fish, and kobachi. She glanced up, her face clear of any indication of the meal she prepared.

He nearly forgot that she was such a talented cook, considering she always forced him to cook in the past, only to complain about his lack of talent.

"I thought you left," he commented, walking closer until he was across from her with only the divider in between them.

"You got my note?" She let out a soft chuckle. "At least it wasn't left next to you in the middle of nowhere."

"Would you have preferred a poem?" he asked slowly, yanking away the book from her hand. "I'd like you not to help yourself to anything you want."

She raised a brow, her lips curved in amusement as she leaned her elbows against the marble. Her head tilted to the side, bits of bangs sweeping over her forehead as she stared into his eyes. "Come here. I want to show you how rice should taste."