Tō Watazoku

CHAPTER EIGHT
____________
–•–

      WHEN SHE FELL ASLEEP, A PART OF HER THOUGHT SHE MIGHT HAVE NIGHTMARES of blood and gore, but her sleep was as dreamless as a newborn child

WHEN SHE FELL ASLEEP, A PART OF HER THOUGHT SHE MIGHT HAVE NIGHTMARES of blood and gore, but her sleep was as dreamless as a newborn child. Her first mission had shown her the true and horrible parts of being an Anbu member in times of war. The Iwa ninja, younger than her, had been nothing in comparison to the Iwa hunter Nin that they had been tracking. The closer they got, the more villages, small and insignificant, had been annihilated. Homes were torched and children and men and women laid butchered on the ground. The blood and buzzing of insects crawling over rotting bodies brought on a sense of familiarity as she remembered the similar state of Kemuri.

She hadn't become a Kunoichi to fight or to protect, but a part of her felt the anger and injustice of it all.

For a moment, she thought about turning into a cloud of smoke, and floating away in the direction of the wind. A part of her wanted to escape the slaughter and the stench and the blood. When she lost her body, she wouldn't be able to smell the stench of decay or feel the heat of the burning villages or feel the buzz of flies around her face.

At that moment, she knew why Anbu wore masks.

●▬▬▬Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ▬▬▬●

"Your first mission was a success," the Third Hokage stated as Anomie handed in her report, placing it on his desk with a calm bow as her white hair fell over her shoulders. She now wore the official Anbu uniform, finding that it fit snug and tight across her chest. The Third Hokage's face was unreadable. "I read Saru's report..."

Anomie mused the idea of how fast the monkey had turned it in while she took a day. Kiss ass.

"You did well," the Third said, his fingers crossed in each other, covering the lower half of his face while his elbows rested against the desk.

"Thank you," she felt her chest swell with pride, but she was quick to not let it show since he was basically complimenting her skill in killing 20 ninja, 14 of whom were children.

"Is Anbu making you feel welcome?" he asked, and she remembered the moment she had asked to be in the Cat Division, so many weeks ago. She had single-handedly chosen to be in the assassination unit, but no doubts lingered in her mind after feeling first-hand what it was like to truly kill.

"It isn't what I expected," she said slowly, her head still bowed so all she could see was the hardwood floor and the small crevice underneath the giant wooden desk. "But it's not horrible."

The Hokage didn't say anything to that, and she bowed her head one last time, making a motion to leave. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but his eyes were sad and hesitant.

"Team Kakashi came back from mission three days ago," the Hokage stated and she felt her shoulders tense, feeling happy for a mere moment before his sad eyes flashed in front of her eyes.