Oreandā

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
____________
–•–

      SHAME WAS AN EASY PIT TO FALL INTO, AND THE STIGMA OVER PROMISCUITY made it easy for young girls to value their worth, based on the notches in their bed

      SHAME WAS AN EASY PIT TO FALL INTO, AND THE STIGMA OVER PROMISCUITY made it easy for young girls to value their worth, based on the notches in their bed. Still, Anomie was never ashamed of what she was: Oiran.

      Oiran was a dirty word to public ears. It was an insult—an embarrassing stain on any village that held themselves to supporting a brothel. It was a dirty profession. A violent profession that often left bruises on a girl's skin. It was a heartbreaking profession when a girl's child was murdered before it had a chance to let out its first cry.

      Anomie hated the profession, but she had never been ashamed of it.

      She hated being touched. She hated when someone forced a kiss on her lips. She hated when someone struck her in the face out of jealousy or just a desire to remind her that she was a lower being—not worthy of care.

      She hated when men would grip her wrists or run their calloused hands up her sides and over her breasts.

      She hated it, but being an Oiran was all she was good at.

      She knew what to say to make a man desire her. She knew where to touch. She knew how to touch. She knew how to make her muscles constrict for their utmost pleasure. She knew how to pretend to fall in love.

      Being an Oiran was all she was good at, until she realized she was good at killing.

      She doubted anyone cared what taking away her purpose would do to her. All she wanted was to protect this stupid village—that was her only purpose. It was all she was good for.

      "Stop," Kakashi voice murmured before she could so much as remove her bra.

      "Why?" The affectionate tone from before left her voice until all that was left was a girl staring at him through thick lashes. Her hair was scattered over her shoulders, and her bangs were messy as she tilted her head to the side. She still sat mounted on his lap when he ran a hand through his white locks.

      "I can't do this," he mumbled, and practically forced her off of him.

      "Was this not what you wanted?" Anomie's voice was chilled, and all echo of her earlier laughter or flirting tone had dissipated. She smirked, unhooking her bra and letting it fall. Not once, however, did Kakashi's gaze stray from her eyes. "You wanted me...did you not? I can tell you wanted me."

      "Maybe, but not when you are like this," he stated, and her eyes narrowed. Now standing up, he wished they could be closer, but with the look she gave him, he knew this might be as close as he could get to her.

      She didn't look phased when she gripped his hand and placed it on her breast. She could feel his pulse through his wrist, speeding up even though his expression remained neutral. "I'm just doing what you want. It's what they all want."