Tsubaki

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
____________
–•–

       WHEN A PERSON WAS SLEEPING, SOMETIMES IT WAS SO EASY TO MISTAKE THEM for dead when they rest unmoving and still

WHEN A PERSON WAS SLEEPING, SOMETIMES IT WAS SO EASY TO MISTAKE THEM for dead when they rest unmoving and still. Sakura didn't wake up for days...nights and nights. The nights were the worst. The nights were the times when her mother would weep herself to sleep and wait for the morning in fear that Sakura wouldn't make it that long. Her mother, Mebuki, always stood against the life of a ninja, but she had learned long ago that standing in the way of a child's dream was wrong.

      But now, as the moon raised heavy in the night sky, Mebuki only wished she had protested. She wished she had screamed in rebellion against the broken ninja system. She wished to protect her daughter and keep her safe against the path that broke many children in the war that butchered Mebuki's brothers.

      It was that very same war that led her husband into an early grave at the hands of a demon that ransacked the east side of the village.

      And to hear that her daughter had been hanging around with that monster nearly broke Mebuki's heart, but to hear that news only after it was too late had nearly caused the woman to follow her husband into the ground.

      "You are only a child..." Sakura's mother wept, holding onto her daughter's hand as if it were the only thing keeping the woman grounded. "But I promise I will do better...I would rather burn this village to the ground than let it drag you into its battles."

      Mebuki, of course, would forever curse the Black Cat, Anomie's name into the depths of hell and back again.

»»⎯⎯⎯¤⎯⎯⎯««

      Sakura Haruno thought the worst moments of her life would rest upon Sasuke never noticing her, or when Ino called her billboard head in front of the entire class. She thought the devastation and horror could never get any worse than that sort of betrayal.

      But hearing from her own mother, who she always believed deep down that she supported her, to hear from that same woman that she had no business continuing to practice the ninja arts nearly broke her in half. The tears rolled down her cheeks in a silent disbelief.

      "It's dangerous...I almost lost you. I cannot handle you in this life." Mebuki Haruno's heart broke with the look of pure devastation on her daughter's face, but she could not relent.

      It was all right if she lived in hatred and resentment of her mother, as long as she at least lived.

      But Sakura Haruno did not feel hatred, only the extreme moment of confusion that overtook her heart.

      And then, in that deathly silence, she remembered the look in that woman's eyes right before she had overtaken Sakura's body.

      "You will likely never understand."