Tsutsuji

CHAPTER TWENTY
____________
–•–

      ANOMIE HAD NEVER LIKED CRYING AND AT TIMES IT FELT AS IF HER TEAR DUCTS were as dry as a draught in the desert

      ANOMIE HAD NEVER LIKED CRYING AND AT TIMES IT FELT AS IF HER TEAR DUCTS were as dry as a draught in the desert. Even sorrow escaped her grasp as she looked around to find anything to fill the crevices, empty and brittle, that had taken up refuge in her heart. If anything, she was numb to pain, but the flavor of blame stuck in her mouth when the night rose over a sorrowful moon as she stared into the depth of that blue sphere. The only thing that made any movements was the blood that dripped down her shoulder and soaked through her clothing by the time Orochimaru's form drifted through the opening of the trees.

      Seeing Orochimaru limp through the leaves made Anomie feel something akin to ease course through her veins with untimely grace. It only succeeded in making her let out a sigh of relief that felt so out of place that she became sickened with herself for that same emotion.

      Orochimaru leaned against a tree, his eyes darting over Anomie's small body with a gaze vacant of his usual amusement. "You made it past the border," Anomie's words were swift and haunting as she watched Orochimaru stagger through the barrier of trees. "Did you run into any trouble?" She thought back to every Anbu Ninja she took down. "Was it an Anbu?"

      "Only an old teammate. You are familiar with the Sannin Jiraiya, are you not?" Orochimaru said the name with full intent of bitterness that caused Anomie to slightly pause.

      "Did you not absorb the Iburi abilities? They were ripe for the picking," she said instead and Orochimaru frowned, clutching his side even though the bleeding had stopped.

      "I was interrupted by an annoyance. I only gained a small portion, it was enough to get this far at least," Orochimaru sighed, glancing towards the wound on her shoulders. "It seems you ran into trouble as well."

      "More annoyances rather than actual trouble," Anomie sighed, leaning her back against a nearby tree as she gazed up through the partition of trees. "You saw Jiraiya..." She finally pushed the nerve to ask, almost fearful of the answer. She didn't know if she could handle losing another mentor, not yet anyway. It felt like she was walking on a thin set of ropes and the slightest tug would make her stumble and fall into the dark abyss.

      She still couldn't forget the look in Kakashi's eyes and it was a look she could have handled from any other living person. Not him. Hatred and confusion.

       In that single glance, she grew certain that his flimsy confession had been a lapse of judgment. Love was weak and it was as brittle as glass. One slight, and it would shatter and the pieces pierced her feet as tried to walk away over the shards.

      Still, she would bleed. It was all she knew how to do.

      "Not yet," Orochimaru finally answered, his eyes glancing over to the partition of leaves before his hand snaked around Anomie's wrist and tugged her foreword, nearly causing her to lose her balance. It was only his hand that steadied her shoulder as his golden eyes burned into hers while he used a blade to slice a small trail over her wrist.