Burūberu

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT

____________
–•–

      KAKASHI SPENT HOURS STARING into her eyes the night before. He memorized every muscle in her face and just how they would move throughout their time. He learned things about her that he always wanted to ask when he spent so many lonely hours wishing she were there next to him. He learned things about her body that he had spent so many countless nights wishing to know. He got to touch her in ways that once only existed in his dreams.

"Are you not going to say something?" Anomie's voice was greeted with silence. Silence was all he could give her as they neared the next village.

It was brimming with noise, the sort that was usually found only in the capital. The sun was low, creating a fire in the horizon, burning into the bright blue. People were gathered in crowds, each bursting with energy that Kakashi couldn't share. The vibrant shades of yellow and red decorated each design of flag, each banner, each kimono that swayed with the breeze.

He didn't have to look towards her to know she was at his side. Her long hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, but he was no longer in the mood to watch how it would sweep from side to side against her naked back. Her clothes, like always, were revealing in a way he usually liked. He usually liked everything about her, even the things he shouldn't. They all turned to ash in his mouth. She was probably familiar with ashes.

"Looks like a festival," Anomie said with a husky whisper as she dodged a small child with a Noh mask who ran past her, his hands roughly sweeping aside her singed robes. The boy paused, turning back towards the woman with a bow.

"Sorry miss!" The boy's politeness didn't cause any expression to morph Anomie's stone-like features as she continued to walk towards the festival. Like always, Kakashi doubted Anomie truly saw people. Often, it was like she saw through them. Did she see through him as well? Of that, he didn't know.

"The only way past it is through it." Anomie didn't sound enthusiastic as she dodged more people, and each attempted to make her laugh as they danced and swayed with the drums. Kakashi watched her all too serious face, stricken with exhaustion, dodge every hand that asked for her to dance.

Kakashi didn't have it in him to laugh, now all too aware of the feather burn upon her neck. Before, not even too long ago, he had traced it with the gentlest of touches, he had trailed his lips across it to reach the beat of her pulse, and he had even thought it beautiful. He wanted to scoff at such a foolish notion. He wanted to scream at her. He wanted to sleep this terrible day away. He wished he had never met her, now more than ever.

      "Should your girlfriend stay out of trouble, which I doubt, she might live to the old age of 30." Izana Asa had told him, and her silver eyes had been so truthful. Even if Kakashi hadn't already been so aware of the Izana code of honesty, he knew it was the truth by the stricken look upon Anomie's normally stoic face.