Momoirobara

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
____________
–•–

IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT, WHERE EVEN THE NOCTURNAL ANIMALS WERE DEEP ASLEEP and the windy chill was so frigid that goosebumps grazed her skin, Anomie awoke

IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT, WHERE EVEN THE NOCTURNAL ANIMALS WERE DEEP ASLEEP and the windy chill was so frigid that goosebumps grazed her skin, Anomie awoke. It was to that same dream, somewhere in the past, her and her mother were sitting by the bank and counting the stars. It was so long ago that Anomie had let it be forgotten so she could concentrate on the present. Unfortunately, the present sucked, the future was unclear, and she enjoyed certain moments of the past.

       She remembered the brilliant red hair of her mother, spreading like a fire between her fingers. Perhaps that was what made the Phoenix so beautiful to her and so appealing.

       "Was it a nightmare?" Kakashi asked from his place on the tree tops. She slightly jumped, not used to his delectable presence. When she glanced up at him, past the crackling logs, she smiled.

      "No," she whispered, running her fingers over a stray log and placing it into the brilliant red haze.

      He didn't answer, only continued reading his book with the light reflected by the giant moon that hung in the sky. The mountain top was a beautiful place to be, or it would have been if it were summer or the ending of spring. Winter travels were less than appealing since the air was much too cold and everything was dead. It was befitting that she was born in the winter.

       "I dreamt of my mother," Anomie told him, glancing up through hooded lashes.

       "I always assumed you had just been spawned or hatched," he said, turning a page. It made her smile.

      She leaned back up against a tree branch, her lips still curled up in her own sense of contentment. She never believed much when people said being with someone you loved made you happy. However, she was happy or at least as happy as someone like her was capable of being.

      "I was. Hatched right in February," she told him.

      "You've never told me your birthday," he replied.

      "February 8th," she answered smoothly. "I think."

      "Not long away," he said shortly.

      "I like crystals and gems," she said, glancing up at him only to find he was staring back down at her with that look in his eye that she could never describe since not many looked at her quite like that.

      "We're in the mountain tops. Where would I possibly find one?" His incredulous expression made her smile.

       "If you really loved me, you'd find a way," she said with a shrug.