Erika

Part III

RUINATION

"A tree may look as beautiful as ever; but when you notice the insects infesting it, and the tips of the branches that are brown from disease, even the trunk seems to lose some of its magnificence.."

― Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
____________
–•–

      THE CLOAK WAS A HEAVY BURDEN UPON HER SHOULDERS AND THE DARKENED COLOR was just another aspect that she had to learn to live alongside

      THE CLOAK WAS A HEAVY BURDEN UPON HER SHOULDERS AND THE DARKENED COLOR was just another aspect that she had to learn to live alongside. She doubted any of her enemies could recognize her when the thick material covered her face. When she was a child, she had heard about the greatness of the red cloaked warriors of the rain. They were known to be pacifists back in the time before the third Shinobi war ended. Their legacy sizzled off and they became known for being mercenaries for hire.

      When she realized those pacifists and the organization under Tobi were the same, she wasn't certain what to think.

      She awoke to nightmares every passing night since the massacre. This would be her own punishment for all the blood. It earned her a place among the murderers and she could no longer tell herself that she wasn't one of them. Maybe she was worse.

      "I really hate Suna," Anomie said, feeling the sun tear through her skin and blisters form on her feet. Tobi glanced her way as the wind, mixed with bits of sand, knocked the hood off her head. She stopped and stared into the sky for an entire minute of silence.

       Tobi chuckled, placing his gloved palm over her shoulder. "I told you there was no use wearing that hood."

      "It's too bright," she defended her over use of covers with a sigh as they spotted the hidden village of sand in the short distance. "If he's not here, how about we get some watermelon. I am starving."

       "He's here," Tobi said, none too ominously and Anomie decided she didn't care how he knew the missing ninja went back to his home village.

       "Looks like it's my turn," Anomie found the wind far more deadly than she would care to admit and Tobi seemed to notice the dilemma as well.

        "Are you up for it? We can find another way inside," he commented and Anomie shook her head, stripping off her cloak and revealing the short kimono underneath. She untied the obi from around her waist, slipping off the garment and allowing it to drop to the ground. She felt Tobi's stare and she turned her head.