Saboten

CHAPTER THIRTY
____________
–•–

        THERE WERE CERTAIN THINGS THAT ANOMIE MISSED IN KONOHA

        THERE WERE CERTAIN THINGS THAT ANOMIE MISSED IN KONOHA. The people, however, were not one of them.

"I thought we were on the same side, little weasel," Anomie felt the blade rest against her neck. If Itachi truly wished it, she'd likely be dead. She was quite tired of being in between death, but it felt like it was happening much more often lately. Likely, this was her fault for being so weak.

A hot rage filled her chest, creating an upheaval of chaos in her heart. Itachi's next movements halted that chaos as he slightly winced and fell to his knees, clutching the shoulder that Anomie had effectively wounded.

"Ah, there's the poison. I was beginning to think you weren't human," she commented and he glanced at with a gaze that could only resemble loathing. "Don't give me that look. I dip all my blades in poison these days, but I happen to have the antidote as well. Just say the word and it's yours." Itachi was silent, causing Anomie's brows to furrow. "Is it pride or do you just not trust me?"

They were both curled to the ground, she was fighting exhaustion and the broken ribs that had been pulled apart when she incorrectly assembled her body. There were jagged cuts all over her body, some deeper than others, but all of them together with dripping blood was likely to make her faint in the close future. It also didn't help that there was just so much sand, and she could feel each and every grain in her wounds.

She reached in her bag that was strapped around her waist, pulling out a small corked bottle filled with a red liquid. "Just say please." Itachi didn't speak, causing her lips to twitch up for a split second. She handed him the bottle. "You can't die when we have so much to talk about."

"The only one close to dying right now is you," he answered, glancing over the cuts all over her body. "Where did you take us?"

"Us? Where is Kakashi?" she asked and Itachi shook his head.

"I was alone. Where did you take us," he repeated.

"A summoning gone wrong. This must be their domain," Anomie used her thighs to lift herself up, thankful that her hair covered the wince of just how much that action hurt.

"Did you not know that summoning scrolls often go poorly when untrained for it?" he asked, and Anomie knew by his tone that he wasn't mocking her so she wasn't annoyed.

"I was being attacked by two very skilled Shinobi of the leaf," she raised her hand over her chest, feigning hurt. "Excuse me if I panicked. Shouldn't you take care of that wound before you bleed out." He looked so reluctant that it was almost cute. "Don't worry, I'm not saying this to see skin. Maybe I'm worried."

Itachi leaned his back against the boulder with a sigh, stripping his shirt and revealing a deep wound, dripping with new blood that was just barely running like droplets over the old one. It was rather odd to feel guilty for her act of self-defense, but she still remembered a time when they had been comrades.