Chapter Five

If Lucy knew that getting engaged to Prince Harry would mean a bunch of meetings, she considered if she would have to do it. Gwen, Lucy's personal stylist, was already in the closet choosing outfits for Lucy to choose from as she got out of the shower. Harry had a prior engagement that morning but promised he would be back in the afternoon for more interviews. Apparently, Lucy was getting a bodyguard soon anyway so with the engagement now, the time for a bodyguard now.

Several people had applied to the position of her security, and of course would work closely with Harry's bodyguards, Simon and Robert. The two bodyguards hadn't followed Harry to Minnesota after the U.S. did not accept certain papers filed. Whoever ended up being Lucy's bodyguard had to hit certain criteria: already trained in some way and then bigger than her. The latter was to be difficult half the time. There was other criteria Siobhan listed but Lucy had stopped listening.

Gwen waited outside in the bathroom but had already set up makeup and hair care. Lucy dried herself off and then sat down in front of the mirror. Gwen knew better than try small talk with Lucy and she didn't start today. She just placed the engagement ring in front of Lucy, and the new fiance put it on.

"We'll have to change your style slightly," Gwen said, "due to the ring."

"Do whatever," Lucy sighed.

Gwen worked on Lucy, taking an hour to just do Lucy's hair. The personal stylist moved to Lucy's makeup next, careful around the edges of her face. Gwen blended everything easily. Music played loudly in the background as Gwen worked, her day too choose the music and it was hardcore rock music, none that Lucy could've named. Gwen called it underground London rock music, whatever that meant. After the makeup, Lucy and Gwen stood in front of the bed as they chose the outfit today. Lucy, if she could, wore dress pants, and she did it again today.

Harry returned back to the Kensington Palace apartment a little before noon, and chef managed to cook something for lunch. Lucy went downstairs and greeted Harry's bodyguards. She asked if they would be joining them for lunch but they disagreed, like usual, apparently they had better things to be doing. The bodyguards said they would see her again after one in the afternoon. Lucy joined Harry in the dining room.

When in the interview with all of the people, Lucy tried to look impressed and interested. She was interested in the first couple people who were interviewed, but then she grew tired. Lucy knew why she was here because of her personality, if she would work well with any of these people. With the fourth person in, she stopped fully paying attention. Harry and the head of the security would get the final say about who she ended up having. Lucy knew Harry would find someone.

There were eighteen people in total, all of them willing to take a bullet for her apparently, all at a price. The people ranged. There were some British Armed Forces going to ex-Scotland Yard, a few Americans with security backgrounds, others used to be police officers or had some other specific security services job. The ages varied too, going from Lucy's age to her late fifties.

Harry's bodyguards, Simon and Robert were present too, both stationed beside the couple. They both asked questions and measured the people applying. Beforehand, Simon had insisted that all the candidates had been thoroughly investigated in background checks and previous interviews with themselves and their family, friends and past employers. The British Monarchy didn't cut any corners were their security.

After the interviews took place, Harry left with Simon and Robert to speak with them and the rest of the Queen's guard about the interviews. Harry asked Lucy if she had a preference of the people interviewed but no, she didn't.

Siobhan managed to stay, though.

"Don't you get tired of spending your days with me?" Lucy asked her, drinking juice and sitting in the living room. Eggsy played with a toy.

"No, ma'am. You always lighten up my life."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not even doing anything today."

Siobhan's gaze narrowed on Lucy. "I have been with you for the past two months, yet you have no idea what a personal assistant does."

"I know what your job title is as well as what you can do, but I don't need you here constantly."

"My job is to personally assist you, whatever you need, whenever you want."

"Ew."

"Yes."

When Harry came back to the apartment, Lucy waited for him. Siobhan managed to slip out before the real party got started. Lucy kissed him, the door closing behind him. Harry kissed back, his hands on her back, pulling her close.

"Luce, Simon and Robert are coming by," Harry said through kisses, breathing heavily, "with your new bodyguard."

"When?" she asked.

"In a little while."

"We have some time."

Lucy continued to kiss him, and Harry didn't fight it. His arms held him in place tightly. Hot breath on her face made her blush. Harry's fingers pressed into her back, until it curled under her skirt, trying to lift it over. If they only had a little time, Harry would take advantage of it. Harry sat down on the couch; Lucy on his lap. Her arms curled around his neck. Harry nibbled at her lip. Lucy pulled back and laughed.

"Your highness," Siobhan called as a warning.

The couple wasn't fast enough to stop, even after they pulled back. Lucy was still on Harry's lap when Simon and Robert came in, not that they hadn't walked in before, with Lucy's apparent new bodyguard behind them. The new bodyguard immediately adverted his gaze, while Simon and Robert stared straight forward. Lucy slipped off and Harry stood.

"Your highness," Siobhan curtsied. "This is your new bodyguard, ma'am, Tony Ackerly."

Mister Ackerly stood behind quietly, eyes back on his new subject to protect. Lucy reached into her mind to remember this man, in his late forties to early fifties. He took early retirement from Scotland Yard, but he had been in Scotland Yard. Now, he was here, destined to protect a non-exist princess. Since Harry had chosen him, he must have thought Tony and Lucy would get along together well.

Lucy put her hand forward to shake his hand, but Mister Ackerly bowed instead. His body was straight; his face was straight. It seemed like he hadn't had fun in thirty years. Lucy was going to have to get used to him.