Chapter Sixteen

Bad Axe lake sprawled out as she sat on the porch, looking over the waves. A fresh breeze came the west, moving the green leaves on all the tall trees. There was a softness about the world around her. There was complete peace. Loons dipped in and out of the water off the shore, diving for fish. In the sky, a bald eagle flew overhead.

They had left early that morning from the house in the Twin Cities and traveled for five hours to the outskirts of Park Rapids, Minnesota. There was a strict need to get away from the paparazzo for a while; this would accomplish this. As they drove through the town, they got groceries for the week, as well as candy from the local shops and then some books. They drove to the resort.

The resort was secluded with eighteen cabins, which were never filled up. At this early in the summer, there were only a few other families there. There Lucy used to come up here with her parents and brother when they were younger; it was much different now. Back then, she could be seen at the pool, swimming around or jumping into the lake. Now, she stayed still on the porch, watching the lake.

Their own cabin at the resort was secluded, off to the side, on its own peninsula. The bodyguards were posted a little more into the resort. They were alone in the cabin, and it was quiet.

"Luce," Harry called as he held up a cup full of worms, "ready?"

She smiled.

At the dock, Harry got two fishing poles ready and then handed one to Lucy with the squirming worm on it. Harry cast his line out, aiming deep into the water, looking for a big trout. Lucy cast her line closer to the trees, knowing where the bass hid. It was quiet as the bobbers stayed afloat. Harry paid close attention to his own, believing he had something nibbling on his end. Lucy leaned back in her chair and waited. The only sounds came from the waves lapping against the shore and then some kids in the swimming pool nearby.

Harry pulled his line back sharply; he tested to see if he got a fish, and he had a fish hooked. He pulled in and Lucy glanced at him. Harry said it was heavy, and Lucy nodded along. Her guess that it was a sunfish with the water resistance causing the heaviness. When the fish came up by the line, Lucy was right: Harry hooked a sunfish. Disappointment pouted on his handsome face.

Holding the fish, he pointed it at her. "This might be the best we get."

"I doubt it." Lucy pulled on her own line, and there was a tug. She started to reel in and found a foot bass on her line. She held it up to show him.

"Oh, so you play that way...."

"I'm just that good."

Harry threw the sunfish back into the lake, and Lucy let the fish go nicely. She refused to eat anything they caught; she couldn't look the thing in the eye as she killed it.

"You know, Luce, it's not every girl that likes to kick ass and fish, and who is smart and funny."

"You forgot beautiful." Lucy glanced at the lake, securing the worm on the hook. "And I'm a woman." She cast the line out to Harry's spot, hoping she would get a better fish than what Harry got.

Harry laughed.

More fish were caught, and then the fish were all let go without incident.

At the end of the day, Harry's arm curled around Lucy as they sat on the porch of their cabin. The sun set in the west. It went down, until the trees covered all of it. The sky was lit up in brilliant oranges, pinks and purples. His fingers brushed along her skin. Her head leaned against his shoulder as the loons sang across the lake. When it got dark outside fully, Lucy took him by the hand and led him into the house and into bed.

When Harry and Lucy woke up in the morning, the sun was too bright. She curled into him; he hid his face under her hair. Their day was spent by the pool and by the lake. Harry would swim and sometimes Lucy would join him; usually Lucy would read a book by the the water. Eventually, they would fish some more. Every day, Lucy would be allowed to drive with Harry to a small town around; Harry quite liked Dorset. They would go on walks after dinner. Harry always had his camera; he liked to take pictures of nature and then of Lucy; she turned away. They would retire back at the cabin and watched the sunset. Lucy took Harry by the hand and led him into the house and into bed.

They did this for five days.

Harry looked at the cabin upon having packed everything in the morning. Today they would go back to the Twin Cities; they would go back to the paparazzi.

Lucy snaked her arms around his body. Her cheek rested on his shoulder.

"I don't want to go back," he whispered.

"To the Twin Cities or to London?" she asked.

"To that life," he answered. "I wish we could stay right here, like this, forever."

"It wouldn't be special then."

"Can we come back?"

She laughed. "Of course."

"Good." His hands held Lucy close to him. "Let us have another moment, just like this."

"We have the rest our lives," she promised.

Their eyes rested on the cabin for another moment, their little piece of peace. It truly had been perfection for the last six days. Harry kissed Lucy on the cheek and the led her to the car.

After the five hour car ride, they came to the house again, where a few paparazzo stayed. The couple had gone elsewhere, truthfully, but some paparazzo the couple had escaped back to London or somewhere better, like New York City. The paparazzo outside the house got a few shots of the couple as they went inside. They had two more days in the Twin Cities before heading back to London. The couple had five more months until they were married.