Chapter Seventeen

Since returning to London, Harry and Lucy planned the wedding more. July quickly came with June passing in a blur. Three more months until the wedding, in early October. It was hard to image the time slipping by like water. Events increased as daylight was long. Depending when the event was, there would be wedding planning either in the morning or afternoon. With the events, Lucy was thrown more into the spotlight, every time, whether it was for a speech or quick photo op.

Tonight's event was different: their engagement party loomed.

Lucy was ready before Harry, getting the show on the road. Every hair was in place. The dress was perfect. The makeup was on point. Now, she needed to not fuck it up.

Her eyes traveled along the wall of their apartment. Whenever Harry went somewhere, throughout his whole royal career, gifts were given to him and he placed them around his apartment. It started long ago, and she could see all of his history. This particular wall was covered in things he received while he was in Nepal, in twenty-sixteen. Some of the more delicate scarves placed on the wall, to make it colorful, not that the apartment was ever purely white. Less-delicate scarves had been knitted together to make a large quilt that laid upon a couch.

Back then, they were in early stages of the relationship. He was gone often back then; it was less now. There was so much he wished to accomplish, and he had accomplished much since then. Settling down didn't seem like the topic priority to either of them, with Harry still doing trips and Lucy having meetings mostly every day now. Since returning to London, Lucy had thrown herself into numerous refugee charities.

Harry came downstairs, fixing his cuff links.

"You ready?" she asked.

"Yes." He smiled at her. "Nervous?"

"I'm almost used to it." She turned to him; her blond hair fluttered out of her face. "Are you nervous?"

"Absolutely." He kissed her on the cheek. "So, you're almost used to it?" Harry's arms curled around her, holding her tightly. "You're getting used to dressing up and being a princess?"

"A fake princess, but yes." Her fingers trailed through his hair. "Though, tonight, honestly, I'm scared, because all eyes will be on me."

"And on me."

She gave him a look.

Harry laughed.

"At other charity events, you go in and you go out. Tonight, we have an engagement party-- we have our engagement party. The world knows about us, and we're getting married. I have to remember all the names in your family-- your massive family. And I have to remember your friends and your enemies."

He scoffed, "I do not have enemies."

"Everyone has enemies." She backed away and smoothed down the dress.

"You look pretty," he said.

This time, Lucy scoffed. "Whatever gets me noticed."

The engagement party was hosted at the National Gallery. It wasn't Lucy's idea, though she loved history and Harry had his love of art, but it certainly accomplished the goal of being seen. It was as if during this engagement, Lucy had been pushed more into the light; Harry felt the push too.

Harry stepped out of the car first, wearing his black tux as always. On their wedding day, Harry would wear his Armed Forces uniform. The seven-piece black tux was fitted perfectly to him. His shoes shined. Harry let his hand drop as Lucy took his hand and stepped out. Her high heels hit the ground first, legs together. Her cream colored dress with glitter graced the ground. Lucy stood beside her fiance. Her arm slipped through his arm, and her ring shined.

Leading her up the stairs, the paparazzi's cameras flashed back and forth. Lucy only glanced down to escape the glare of the lights. She knew her footing and continued up.

The sound of voices echoed out. Once again, this wasn't the plan for either of them. Most of Harry's family was in there, especially his friends, from all ages and all places. His childhood friends were the first ones to greet him, and then his Armed Forces friends. Lucy stayed by his side as everyone greeted her. They moved down the room as Harry's extended family greeted.

After greeting everyone, Lucy peeled herself away from Harry; he smiled. She steered herself toward the refreshments.

"You're cute tonight." Sydney drank from her glass of wine.

Lucy almost jumped out of her skin. "I didn't even know you were coming."

"Harry called me, and I'm just here for tonight. I head to India tomorrow."

"That sounds like fun."

"Want to ditch Prince Charming and come?" she joked.

Lucy rolled her eyes, and then stopped. This wasn't the time or the place. People were around; she needed to be regal. Straightening her back, Lucy clamped her teeth shut and then smiled naturally. Though her smiles were at least half-time forced, she had training so it looked somewhat natural.

"That's nice," Sydney commented. "I got some of the princess training too; I'll get more later but I can't embarrass the crown." She spoke quietly, but Lucy still didn't trust it.

"Is your boyfriend here?"

"No. He's flying in tomorrow morning, and then we leave together in the afternoon."

Lucy continued to smile. Her eyes caught Harry who gave her a look to come over. "I have to go."

"Weasley wants you; I see him." Sydney hugged Lucy. "I'll be back a month before the wedding, so we can do all the girly things." Kissing Lucy on the cheek, Sydney made her way through the crowd.

Lucy moved through the crowd and stopped beside her fiance. Automatically, her arm slipped through his arm, latching on. Harry was in the middle of a story and all the men joked. It finished quickly and Harry gave introductions. The men chuckled about something else before Lucy was allowed into the conversation.

"Excuse us," Harry said, leading his fiance away from the men.

"Those people were interesting," she mumbled.

"Not who I want you to meet."

Harry led Lucy off to the side of the room and then through some doors. After a few passing doors, he chose one and then led Lucy inside. She was about to ask why he did this but then she came face to face with the Prime Minister of Great Britain.