Chapter Nineteen

Eggsy laid on Lucy's lap after she changed into sweatpants. Earlier in the day, Lucy returned from an event for rugby with Harry. Now, she took the day to relax, never knowing how much smiling took out of her. It wasn't normally this bad but she was more anxious with the recent bodyguards added to her. Tony was primary but there were always two more around now. They were added after coming back to the U.K., which happened to make matters worse for Lucy. Without any news, most people would have assumed good things, like there had been no more threats; Lucy didn't think this way.

Her mind often wandered on these thoughts of safety. She never felt safe within the U.S., not when she thought about her past. Her stomach didn't lurch as if in panic, like it had in the past. Lucy had gotten comfortable with her surroundings, like any normal person was supposed to do. This made her scared.

"Ma'am." Tony walked into the room and then bowed.

Lucy closed her book, not that she had been truly reading it. "What's up?"

"We need to speak about the threatening message you received before your trip to Minnesota."

"There have been more threatening messages." It didn't need to be a question; she knew.

Tony nodded.

"When?"

"One was received while in Minnesota, and then one more since returning. They say the same thing as last time."

"That's pleasant."

"The security thought to have this conversation with the Prince as well, but I thought you might want to know beforehand."

"Yes. Thank you." Her fingertips brushed off Eggsy's fine hair. "I'm assuming that no one knows where these threatening messages are coming from."

"Correct, ma'am." Tony didn't like his own answer. "Though MI-5 is working on, along with the U.S. government, since you technically are a U.S. citizen." He stepped forward. "All notes say the same thing, on different paper and in different font, to throw us off. They are all shipped from different places with different return addresses. All have different stamps."

"You're telling me that this person is smart." Her eyes matched his. "I'm not scared."

"I wouldn't expect you to be, ma'am."

"Are others scared?"

"No, ma'am, I do not believe so. I think the word concerned is better suited for this conversation."

"Concerned." She considered the word thoughtfully. "I'm sure Harry is concerned."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And he knows me well."

"Yes, ma'am."

"What do you think, Mister Ackerly?" she asked. "You used to work for Scotland Yard. You know how these things go. You dealt with smart assholes. Tell me."

"I do not think that would be wise of me, ma'am."

"Then be stupid for once in your life, Mister Ackerly." Lucy refused to let this go. "What do you think?"

He cleared his throat. "You are smart and prepared; I have read your file. I have spent time with you. I know that you know how to handle yourself, if we were in your old place." He paused because of Lucy's look. Tony explained, "This is new territory for you, even if you have lived here for a while. There are different rules, especially now as almost member of the royal family.

"I do not expect you to be scared because you do not fear for your own life. I expect you to be scared for Harry's life, perhaps Siobhan's and even mine before your own. Due to your past, I doubt much scares you, especially not some person who writes threatening notes. I doubt you would be scared even if someone held a gun to your head."

Lucy smirked. "How will the situation be handled?"

"Many royals receive threats. Many politicians receive threats. Many everyday people receive threats. At this time, even with the four threatening notes, most people are not concerned. You will have two extra bodyguards for the next couple weeks unless another note is received but since the writer is getting no response, I doubt he will write again."

Lucy nodded. "You said most people are not concerned, but you are?"

"My job is to be concerned for you, about you, only you, and the Prince when he is around. You are my top priority."

"Your life must be boring then."

"It is never boring with you." Tony made his way to the door.

"Thank you," she said.

"Of course, ma'am." Tony left.

Lucy's eyes looked out the window again. From here, she had the perfect advantage point to see the tourists walk around outside; her curiosity only lasted a minute before she opened the book again and read.

Once Harry came home, all the security guards discussed options with Harry and Lucy. Her schedule would continue as always, except she would have two more bodyguards for the next month. After the month was done, if no more messages had been sent, Lucy would go back to one bodyguard, Tony. Harry suggested that Lucy be moved into more private events or events with other royals; Harry wanted to be with Lucy more, as if he could protect her. The bodyguards agreed to this for the next month, which seemed to be the testing period. The messages would still be looked into, of course.

That night, Harry held Lucy tightly in bed. His arms curled around her; her head laid on his chest. His heartbeat thumped normally, strong and perfect. His eyes told another story; there was concern inside of there. Harry's fingers followed the ridges on Lucy's skin.

"This isn't normal, is it?" she asked. "The threatening messages?"

"Many people have gotten them," he said. "I have gotten them before, usually they're nothing."

"But you're concerned?"

Harry smirked. "Yeah."

"Do you think I'm in danger?"

"The rational part of me says no. The royal part of me says no. Threatening messages happen all the time. The part of me that loves you truly says yes. That part of me wants to protect you, to do anything for you."

Lucy rolled her eyes.

"Wouldn't you be concerned if someone was sending threatening notes to me?" he asked.

"I guess," she said, "or I would just beat the shit out of them."

He laughed. "I can sleep easy tonight knowing that."

"Yes." Lucy smiled. "As long as I'm here, I'll protect you."

"I won't be getting stabbed tonight."