Chapter Eight

It was like Lucy counted down the moments in her head, how many seconds until she walked out in front of the cameras. She already knew the lights would burn her pupils, and she would blink to clear the black dots from her sight. She knew better than to flinch at the cameras, but the thought of that many cameras made her want to take a step back.

The young couple was at Buckingham Palace, waiting in a back room before they entered into the bright lights. Lucy had thought to have two months before the news was broken, but it had been two weeks. Once again, Lucy was certain about marrying him; she didn't prefer the cameras. Harry kissed her on the cheek, his arms wrapped briefly around her.

"Breathe," he said. "It'll help.

"Five... four... three... two... one," Lucy commented with her eyes closed. When she lifted her eyelids again, she welcomed the bright light from a sunny day in London. She turned back to Harry and smiled. "Like this."

"Perfect." He kissed her on the nose.

"Your highness, one minute," Stacy, his personal assistant, noted. "Time to line up."

Harry guided Lucy over to the doors. He held out his right arm, making a triangle. Lucy slipped her arm through. Her left hand dangled freely. Cursing herself, she stopped playing with the ring; it wouldn't fall off. The diamonds glittered.

Stacy and Jessica stood side by side. "Five... four... three," she whispered, and then mouthed two and one. The doors swung open.

Harry and Lucy stepped out together and walked to the spot, as directed by Jessica. Harry kept a good grip on Lucy. There had been some practicing for this, as she tended to sway. Her eyes already burned from the camera flashes. Yet the clicking from the cameras was the only sound; there wasn't any yelling for once. Lucy's smile almost faltered but she pasted it back on her face. Harry glanced over, and then pulled Lucy a little tighter. He wouldn't let her fall.

The news was already whispered throughout the day. Why had Buckingham Palace called a photo op? Buckingham Palace hadn't told what the photo op was about, but rumors already spread. With Lucy's new bodyguard and the couple having a dog together, soon an engagement would happen. An engagement did happen. At least the tabloids would have something right the next day.

Lights flashed. Flashes came from right, left, up and down. There were too many of them, coming at different angles. They were everywhere. Lucy's chest felt too heavy, and she swallowed. Was this her life? Lucy pushed the fear away, knowing it was only fear. She wanted a life with Harry-- she loved Harry. She hated this. She didn't want this. She didn't want her children to have to do with this. She didn't her pictures everywhere. She didn't want-- want-- want--

It was hard for Lucy to breathe, yet she still held a smile on her face. She wondered if anyone saw the panic in her eyes. What if her smile didn't look natural? What if people saw how fake she was? Lucy was being like everyone else, she was being trained. This wasn't who she was; this wasn't her. Lucy wanted to scream.

She wanted all of it to stop now. She wanted the cameras to stop. She wanted the life to stop. It all needed to stop!

Jessica walked over, directing the cameras to stop, and she led the young couple off to the side doors and out of the room. The doors closed again. Yet, blood rushed past her ears, making it hard for her to say anything. Her heartbeat was too quick. Her breath was heavy and labored. Jessica talked and Harry nodded to whatever she said. Perhaps she was becoming a good actress because Harry didn't notice. Jessica mentioned an interview next. Lucy wasn't done yet.

"Through these doors," Jessica said.

"Can we have a minute?" Harry asked. "It's a lot to take in. I think we could all use a minute."

Jessica nodded. "I'll wait over there. Let me know if you need anything." Her eyes hovered on Lucy before she turned away.

"Luce, breathe." Harry gripped her shoulders, holding her in place. Apparently, Lucy swayed. "Breathe."

"I am breathing."

Harry gave her a look. His hands ran up and down her arms. "Breathe."

Lucy took a few deep breaths.

"I have you. I got you. I love you. I promise."

"I know."

"Good." He paused. "Do you need another minute?"

She shook her head, pushing her tears down. Panic rose within her. "Let's go."

Harry nodded and then took her hand again, leading her down the hallway.

Jessica directed them again, moving into a different room of Buckingham Palace, quite away from the picture room. The interview wasn't to be interrupted but the couple could take any breaks necessary. Though, it was thought none would be needed. The interview would be one hour at the most, assuming there weren't any breaks. Lucy might need a break but she was the only one. Her stomach was upset, along with her personality.

The doors opened. Harry and Lucy walked in. The couple greeted the interviewer, a nice British anchor for the BBC, and Lucy was able to understand him quite clearly. She knew that might be a problem; when she got nervous, with blood rushing past her ears, she had a hard time understanding what was around her, specifically accents.

Harry and Lucy sat down across from him, on a sofa. Harry was able to lean back into the sofa, but he kept his back straight. His legs were slightly parted, hands resting on them. Lucy sat on the edge of the sofa, ankles crossed with her knees together. Her back was always straight. Harry took her hand in his. Her left hand rested on top, where the engagement ring could easily be seen by all.

Several cameras were placed around the room, one on the interviewer and three on the couple. Other people moved to the back of the room and silence happened, like no one breathed.

The interviewer smiled, and Harry responded with a smile. Her eyes glanced around her, taking everything in, and then a grin tugged her lips up. Like she was a natural, Lucy looked like a princess.

"Let us start off with an easy question," the interviewer stated, "how did you meet?"